Yuniel

Hello,
I am in need of advice. I have been working at a call center for two years selling MAPD, PDP, MedSup for uhc. I get paid 10$ thru 40$ for MAPD enrollments depending on the tier that I am (tiers change every 40 MAPD enrollments and go up gradually e.g- 10$, 15$, and so on until I get to the last tier that pays 40$ per app). PDPs are paid a 0.4 MAPD and MedSups as a 0.8 MAPD no residuals; I also get 16$/hr and benefits (pto, 401k...) I made 62k on 2019. With that been said. This AEP they hired a three times as many agents as they previously used to and no is harder to advance in tiers so I’m foreseen the commissions are gonna be considerably lower on 2020. In addition. To that I’ve been working in call centers for around 6 years (4 of those in member services healthcare as well) so, im already burned out of that environment and the micromanagement as well. I have a 1 year emergency fund and I’m also very frugal, so I’m considering resigning at the call center and transitioning to independent. The problem with that is that I don’t have a clue where to start, or any marketing experience. I want to write down a plan including my realistic goal and also a marketing system that will help me achieve that goal. Thank you so much in advance for taking your time to read this post and helping.

I do not know if you have considered if you can transfer your skills/success to this new role, if not, you may want to give it some thought. You could have the best plan possible, but fail because you are not a good fit. I have been a wholesaler for 35+ years and realized relatively quickly that I could not be successful on the retail side. I have seen many Account Managers believe they could sell, and then fail miserably. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Yea, I think I know that Call Center LOL. I was in the same boat for years, I've actually supervised and trained for call centers.

I decided to leave and go out on my own a few years ago - although now I'm back in a call center just not a phone jockey.

It's a different world and a different mindset, that's the hardest part of adjustment for me. You have to have a plan and a structure. If your going to go door knocking from 9 - 11 AM everyday then do so, make no excuses (although I personally think door knocking is going the way of the dino).

Set up Social Media and work it hard but keep it interesting. Also don't expect a payoff immediately, that won't happen. However it will happen. I found that I could generate free leads by working unusual sources. Setting up a booth at a farmers market one day generated 10 free leads. I paid $50 for the booth but ended up making $800 from one sale. It was worth the $50.

Don't jump to the first company that offers you something. Shop around, decided what market you want to be in (Final expense/Medicare sounds good for you) and become an expert in that field (Florida however is tough for FE). One brokerage I would highly recommend is Patriot Insurance Group

Feel free to IM me.

Call center - warm leads call you
Independent - no one calls you

Call center - company pays to generate leads
Independent - you foot the bill for lead generation

Call center - you are paid even when sales are off
Independent - you are paid only when you sell something

Call center - immediate gratification for sales
Independent - delayed gratification . . . sometimes takes months before you are paid

I do not know if you have considered if you can transfer your skills/success to this new role, if not, you may want to give it some thought. You could have the best plan possible, but fail because you are not a good fit. I have been a wholesaler for 35+ years and realized relatively quickly that I could not be successful on the retail side. I have seen many Account Managers believe they could sell, and then fail miserably. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Well I did OK as a field agent, it just wasn't for me. It wasn't my strength - in that I need the structure of a 9 to 5 job. I never felt comfortable door knocking for example.

You can always sign up to work from home making outbound/inbound calls etc and selling over the phone for example and have the best of both worlds. The independence of working for yourself as well as the potential to make more sales, without the buying leads and other day to day hassles of outside sales.

Or do what I did and get a back office job LOL

Call center - warm leads call you
Independent - no one calls you

Call center - company pays to generate leads
Independent - you foot the bill for lead generation

Call center - you are paid even when sales are off
Independent - you are paid only when you sell something

Call center - immediate gratification for sales
Independent - delayed gratification . . . sometimes takes months before you are paid

This is all 100% True I did work at a call center in 2006-20010

I would add

Call center - company controls lead quantity and Lead Quality
Independent - you control you own leads and destiny

Call center - company controls Products you sell
Independent - you control your own destiny

Call center - company controls how much you make whats your celling
Independent - you control your own destiny

Going on your own will take longer and take investment, there will be hard times in the beginning, but you can make much more in the long run and what you gain no one can take away but you yourself

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back