Tricare Coverage for Long Term Care

scmb

Expert
Do seniors with tricare for life get any additional benefits towards long term care? If yes, does a widow get it as well?

Do seniors with tricare for life get any additional benefits towards long term care? If yes, does a widow get it as well?

There is a military benefit for veterans and their spouses. It has nothing to do with tri-care.

That was what my google search concluded too, just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

although there are some subtle differences between Medicare and Tricare, they are essentially the same when it comes to LTC coverage....which essentially means it is not covered other than short term rehab (Tricare can go past 100 days however)

Long-term care and any other service provided to assist a person with eating, dressing, bathing or performing activities of daily living, are not covered benefits under Medicare, TRICARE or TRICARE For Life. Whether the care is performed in a nursing home, assisted living facility or at a beneficiary's home, neither Medicare nor TRICARE will cover the cost of providing LTC. The cost of LTC coverage may vary and must be borne by the patient or through private long-term care insurance.

This is not to be confused with VA benefits where, when income tested, there may be funding available to help with the cost of care. My MIL has Tricare for Life.....she is low income/low asset...she gets approx $1200/month from the VA as the surviving spouse of an air force colonel in two wars. She gets the money because she is chronically ill and in assisted living. We pay the rest of her bill.

There is a military benefit for veterans and their spouses. It has nothing to do with tri-care.

Can you elaborate on those benefits?

I just assumed veterans with tri-care would qualify for such benefit if it exist, not necessarily provided by tri-care..

Can you elaborate on those benefits?

I just assumed veterans with tri-care would qualify for such benefit if it exist, not necessarily provided by tri-care..

it's the the Aid and Attendance Benefit.
Not every veteran will qualify for it.

There are some very strict financial qualifications:

http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/H...and_Housebound_Pension_Benefits.html?serv=147

Aid & Attendance and Housebound - Pension

Here's a link to the application:

http://www.alfa.org/images/alfa/toolkits/vatoolkit.pdf

Back