U65 Medicare Advantage

Sounds illegal. You can't bring up MA without the prospect asking. Beyond the legality, it's just sleazy. Rick

I thought you just can't bring up MA plans to someone? Let's say I meet with a client and show them how Medicare works. I can just show them the Medicare and you book that explains their two options. Medicare + part D plus supp. Or the MA route. Now if they ask plan specifics. That's different.

In his situation, it could be considered a little dirty. But I would think if they are getting the client signed up with SSDI and they mention, "and when your two years is up, call this number here and we can show you your Medicare supplement options".
If the client asks about MA plans, you send them a scope and it's all legal IMO. But I could be off

Why is that sleezy? You never had a tax person refer you to an annuity sales man or purchased a car and was referred to a insurance sales person? That's normal business....

Why is that sleezy? You never had a tax person refer you to an annuity sales man or purchased a car and was referred to a insurance sales person? That's normal business....

The sleaziness was the implication that the lawyers were also the insurance agents but making it seem like a separate business. OP clarified that they are a separate company.

Our agency gets referrals all the time from all kinds of places, including disability attorneys, doctor's offices, and pharmacies.

The person shows up "I was told you were the one to talk to about getting on one of those zero premium plans I see on TV". They have brought up an MAPD, just not by name.

The person calls in "can we set up a meeting to discuss all of my Medicare options, I am going on Medicare in two months". Sure thing, you have asked about all of your options, I will give you a high level overview and if you are interested we can talk about specific plans and pros and cons of each. They didn't mention part D either, does that mean I am not supposed to mention it at all when discussing Medicare?

People doing mostly outbound Med Supp calls with a dialer are going to have a lot harder road getting to a Medicare Advantage plan compliantly than when people are referred to you and they want to know about all their options because they are new-to-Medicare, like the OP is suggesting.

The problem that I seem to be running into quite frequently is that these clients are worried about their monthly cost for treatment and meds. They think paying $25/mo for a plan premium to have a $15 copay for doctor visits is going to break the bank, when in all reality the meds they take are most likely going to consume most of their monthly check!

I agree that spousal coverage is usually better for their Rx coverage, which is why most of the clients are hesitant to choose MAPD over a group plan. I guess my question mainly is, if someone says they have coverage under a spouse is it even worth it to run their meds/doctors to see if there is a better plan available? I dont want to just "give up" on the clients who say they have employer coverage if there's money to be made working with them, but it seems I have yet to find anyone U65 who is better off with MAPD than an employer plan.

The problem that I seem to be running into quite frequently is that these clients are worried about their monthly cost for treatment and meds. They think paying $25/mo for a plan premium to have a $15 copay for doctor visits is going to break the bank, when in all reality the meds they take are most likely going to consume most of their monthly check!

I agree that spousal coverage is usually better for their Rx coverage, which is why most of the clients are hesitant to choose MAPD over a group plan. I guess my question mainly is, if someone says they have coverage under a spouse is it even worth it to run their meds/doctors to see if there is a better plan available? I dont want to just "give up" on the clients who say they have employer coverage if there's money to be made working with them, but it seems I have yet to find anyone U65 who is better off with MAPD than an employer plan.

Yes. It's absolutely worth it.

Your new-to-Medicare U65 SSDI clientele run in a lot different circles than mine apparently. Less than half of mine are even married, much less to a spouse who is offered group coverage at work that is not a bronze catastrophic plan to where there is even a discussion about which is a better option.

If they are sweating a $25 copay that hard, they probably qualify for at least LIS so there is no donut hole to contend with.

I have only had one U65 that could afford the TN rates on a med sup.

ETA: I realize this is a function of who is doing the referring. Our attorney source of referrals works out of a pretty poor county. If yours is getting all the doctor's wives going on disability, more power to you.

Last edited:
Currently, I'd say 75% of my leads are out of OH. About 20% of the leads are from MN. 3% of leads from WI & 2% of leads from MI. Unfortunately, we got started with everything after AEP started, so a lot of my clients are past their plan change date (12/7). I end up having to tell them that I cant help them with their coverage options until October 2016, unless there is some sort of SEP that applies.

Also, I am only contracted with Humana in MN. I am working on getting contracted with other carriers, but finding it difficult to do so through the person I assume is my "upline". All contracts/commissions and such are filtered through his company, so he is in charge of getting me contracted with other carriers. Apparently he says that the other carriers he's contacted to start my contracting process have not gotten back to him. ("A lot of companies are on a pre-holiday/post-AEP break, making it difficult to reach someone").

I am currently contracted with Aetna/Coventry, BCBS-MI, Humana, Molina & United HealthCare.

Does anyone have suggestions of carriers to add for MN clients? Right now, I'm looking to add UCare & BCBS-MN. Seeing competitive plan options for those on medicare.gov made me consider adding them to my list of contracted carriers.

Currently, I'd say 75% of my leads are out of OH. About 20% of the leads are from MN. 3% of leads from WI & 2% of leads from MI. Unfortunately, we got started with everything after AEP started, so a lot of my clients are past their plan change date (12/7). I end up having to tell them that I cant help them with their coverage options until October 2016, unless there is some sort of SEP that applies.

Also, I am only contracted with Humana in MN. I am working on getting contracted with other carriers, but finding it difficult to do so through the person I assume is my "upline". All contracts/commissions and such are filtered through his company, so he is in charge of getting me contracted with other carriers. Apparently he says that the other carriers he's contacted to start my contracting process have not gotten back to him. ("A lot of companies are on a pre-holiday/post-AEP break, making it difficult to reach someone").

I am currently contracted with Aetna/Coventry, BCBS-MI, Humana, Molina & United HealthCare.

Does anyone have suggestions of carriers to add for MN clients? Right now, I'm looking to add UCare & BCBS-MN. Seeing competitive plan options for those on medicare.gov made me consider adding them to my list of contracted carriers.

It seems like you're in a captive situation, so it doesn't matter what companies anyone other than your upline suggests. In other words, your upline won't want you to be contracting with any companies outside of what they have available through them.

Back