UHC Fleecing Customers?

I was just emailed the attached image from an insured. I took some of their personal information out. I've had a few clients tell me their doctors were listed as in-network but now are being told they are not accepting this plan or something similar to the letter. Most of the people who are telling me about the issues are on exchange but no subsidy. We chose these plans BECAUSE they were their best option on/off exchange. (In East TN we only have two options: UHC or BCBS) How would you handle this? Is anyone else having this happen?

Yes, It happened to me also. I am suggesting navigation under the existing plan. I don't feel guilty because the system is working out of control. :mad:

I just don't understand why the doctors do not want the on exchange clients.

Because the services are even further discounted than they are if the client was enrolled in an Off exchange plan. I received a notice about a procedure that was costing over $ 39K. On the summary it specifically stated HIX discount of $ 35K for the procedure.

There is a lot of confusion in the provider world regarding networks, reimbursements, cost sharing, etc.. There was a conference for practice managers in Fl last year that scared the hell out of administrators regarding the 90 day grace period on Exchange.

This is an old survey from 2014 but it gives some of the reasons Dr.s offices do not want to deal with exchange patients.

In particular, respondents said exchange coverage made it more difficult to verify patient eligibility, obtain cost-sharing and network information, and gather information about a plan's provider network to facilitate patient referrals.

One practice, in fact, commented that it was going to have to hire additional staff "just to manage the insurance verification process." Another called the process of identifying ACA plans "an administrative nightmare."

Patient cost-sharing also has created issues for some practices. "Patients have been very confused about benefits and their portion of the cost," reported one practice, adding that some patients have cancelled appointments or procedures after finding out what their deductible would be.

Back