What Will Happen if Congress Defunds Obamacare?

TxOnline

Guru
100+ Post Club
Can the House (on it's own....with the purse-strings) defund obamacare?

If they do, will subsidy money be there (to send-in to the insurance companies to PAY the subsidy portion of the premiums)?
ie: Is the subsidy money already sitting in a pot (funded)?

I always thought it was funded for 2014, but looks like I'm wrong from what I'm reading. I suppose it won't go off if defunded and govt shut down.

No, it can't, and Obamacare is funded for next year even if the government is shut down because it's deemed an essential benefit.

The funding part is good to know, thanks. I now wish they would get it together so we call can complete Part II of the certification.

Thanks for your insight, guys. But, I heard Ted Cruz on the news & that's why I was scratching my head last night.
Did some internet research (and was more confused than ever after reading a few sites).

Ted Cruz is a Senator (...not House of Rep).
He's on a mission to de-fund it: Don't Fund Obamacare

He's doing Townhall Meetings across America right now.

Cruz is posturing for a run at the presidency - which he won't win. While there are many ideas I agree with the Tea Party on, they are splitting from the rest of the Republican Party at the wrong time and are destroying the only change left (2014/2016 elections) to get this monster off the books by capturing the House, Senate, and WH.

Cruz is posturing for a run at the presidency - which he won't win. While there are many ideas I agree with the Tea Party on, they are splitting from the rest of the Republican Party at the wrong time and are destroying the only change left (2014/2016 elections) to get this monster off the books by capturing the House, Senate, and WH.

Couldn't agree with you more, they are destroying the republican party period and I think they will lose more than they gain next election if they don't come together.

IMO, I'm fine with them taking a stand and refusing to pass a budget supporting PPACA, if it would actually break PPACA. It won't, so it just makes them look stupid for making such a big deal about something that they can't pull off, and wouldn't work if they could.

Is it really so hard to propose a viable alternative? They've had over 3.5 years since it went into law, no one has proposed anything. I have trouble comprehending that.

Even if Congress got together a bill to defund Obamacare, it would have to be signed into law by .....guess who. Correct?

The Budget covers congressional salaries and benefits, so I don't see them ever doing something to end their gravy train.

Last edited:
Back