When a Spouse Turns 65

Dowejonez

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Iowa
I try to explain this away as a glitch in the system when half of a couple turns 65, going to Medicare and the rate they pay for the remaining spouse left behind on Obamacare is only lowered by maybe 10 to 15%.

With the cost of a med sup, Part B and Part D they are then adding on $200 to $250. This probably wouldn't be as much of a problem if the 65 year old retired and saw a drop in income.

I thought they'd make a correction on this for ACA year #2. Am I overlooking something?

Not gonna change. Not even talked about. It's a feature. Advise them to marry someone born in the same month in their next life

----------

Or, tell them to get divorced

It's fun explaining to a couple that their rate is $24/month and the kids are sent to Medicaid. Kids are declined for medicaid because the family has not been in the US for more than 5 years. Add kids and the rate drops to $19/month....

I understand why it happens, but for people who don't do this, they look at you like you are from another planet when you tell them the rate is lower to add the kids...

Another example: (64 and 63 years of age), when the 64 turns 65 and drops off; the rate goes up for the 63 year old. They expect is to drop by half or more. Welcome to ACA!

Have one of these right now, T65 in a couple months. Multi-generation household (grandkids as tax dependents will most likely drop off for 2016), rates for under 65 spouse won't go down. Figuring out what plan T65 can afford, now with Medicare B/supplement/drug plan their monthly premium will about double.
Good times.

Back