When is the best time to sign up Medicare Part A and B?

compiler

An unemployed person is 65 and will be based on the young spouse work record to sign up the Medicare part A and B. The spouse is less than 62 and has more than 40 work credits. A couple is currently covered by the spouse employer’s medical insurance (more than 20 employees). Is it correct the elder person should sign up at least the premium free Medicare Part A but delay the enrollment of Medicare Part B because Medicare Part B is not free? Thank you for your answer.

Best time is 3 months before turning 65.

Part A only leaves a ton of exposure for outpatient health care claims. No repricing. No OOP cap.

Plus the older spouse will pay LEP when they finally sign up for Part B.

Thank you for your reply. Do you mean it is not necessary for the elder spouse to sign up premium free Medicare Part A because the couple has medical insurance from the young spouse company, plus there are some negative effects such as no repricing, no OOP cap and the elder spouse needs to pay LEP when both finally sign up for Part B after the young spouse is retired?

Last edited:
An unemployed person is 65 and will be based on the young spouse work record to sign up the Medicare part A and B. The spouse is less than 62 and has more than 40 work credits. A couple is currently covered by the spouse employer’s medical insurance (more than 20 employees). Is it correct the elder person should sign up at least the premium free Medicare Part A but delay the enrollment of Medicare Part B because Medicare Part B is not free? Thank you for your answer.

Thank you for your reply. Do you mean it is not necessary for the elder spouse to sign up premium free Medicare Part A because the couple has medical insurance from the young spouse company, plus there are some negative effects such as no repricing, no OOP cap and the elder spouse needs to pay LEP when both finally sign up for Part B after the young spouse is retired?
Caveat, I am NOT an agent.

First, please check some rules. I am not sure that an older spouse can actually enroll in Medicare based on a younger spouse work record if the younger spouse is not yet 62. I think it has something to do with the way Social Security and Medicare work together.

Second, I had work credits that allowed me to qualify for Medicare on my own. However, I did carry medical insurance through my younger spouse's employer plan for several years. When I did need to transfer to Medicare, my prior coverage (based on SPOUSE'S ACTIVE EMPLOYMENT) from my wife's employer plan provided me with a SEP for Part B enrollment and I did not have to pay any Part B late enrollment penalties.

Based on that experience, it seems to me like if your older spouse client can maintain employer group coverage until they can sign up for Part B on the younger spouse's work record, the older spouse would not incur a Part B LEP. However you should verify that from sources other than me.

One other comment, when I had employer coverage, I had no understanding of Medicare. I just kept my employer coverage because I thought it was better.

Today, in your situation of employer plan vs Medicare Part B, the first thing I would do is compare premiums, Medicare vs additional amount spouse is paying to cover you. In the (unlikely) event that the employer coverage cost is less, one might want to consider staying on the employer plan until younger spouse terminates employment. Otherwise, Medicare may turn out to be the better choice.

If the elder is covered as a dependent under the younger spouse's EGH, the elder can take Part A only if they want, or delay. Postponing B can avoid the LEP as long as the EGH is creditable coverage and the elder maintains continuous coverage.

The elder should weigh the TOTAL cost of A, B + Medigap/MAPD vs maintaining EGH coverage.

Last edited:
Back