Who is to Blame for TV Damage From Contractors

G

hi i am a coucil tenant i had a patio door fitted by a company called bodman contracted by the council.the person that fitted the door damaged my £950 tv so i have been going through bodmans insurance company allianz they have been absolutly rubbish its been going on since april.so i have bought a new tv which cost £549 so because i told allianz that i had bought a new tv they have offered to pay me £549 for the tv i have bought but will not pay £950 for tv that was damaged can they do this

Re: Who is to Blame

Sure can especially if you accept the offer...A thing to keep in mind is your 950 tv, how old was it electronics depreciate in value quickly and that is all you are entitled to the depreciated value.

Re: Who is to Blame

thank you for your reply but forgot to mention my tv was only 1 month old it was a samsung led 7000 series so why should i be out of pocket for what some one else as done

Assuming you are in Great Britain (based on using Sterling references), probably nobody here is qualified to answer this. It's a different set of rules.

In general, the contractor is responsible to replace what he broke, doesn't matter what the price is. What I mean by this is if he catches that same set on sale, then he can save some money. If the price was reduced last week because they replaced the model, then he can pay the reduced price.

In general, you are obligated to replace what was broken as well. If you replace it with something of lesser cost, then that may be sufficient. Again, the price tag is not indicative of the actual value.

If you want the full price, tell them you are going to buy the exact same set once you have the check. Not really enough money here for an insurance company to usually worry about, unless they suspect a bigger problem going on.

Of course, your mileage in your country may vary.

Dan

do you have small claims court, in your county. an english judge judy..

Mack is right... this is probably the best way. Normally contractors carry at least in the states about a $1k property damage deductable... if your TV is under the deductable threshold it would not be in his best interest to turn in a claim even if the unit was 1500 because the rate increase will not be justified.

Scottyj said:
Mack is right... this is probably the best way. Normally contractors carry at least in the states about a $1k property damage deductable... if your TV is under the deductable threshold it would not be in his best interest to turn in a claim even if the unit was 1500 because the rate increase will not be justified.

I would hope he has replaced the tv in the last year.

Back