Wordwide ER Coverage on MA Plans

ser93boy

Expert
Certain MA providers like UHC and Blue Cross claim that they provide worldwide Emergency Room coverage.

What I want to know is exactly what would the client be covered for? Is it just the ER visit or would they be covered if they were actually admitted?

Certain MA providers like UHC and Blue Cross claim that they provide worldwide Emergency Room coverage.

What I want to know is exactly what would the client be covered for? Is it just the ER visit or would they be covered if they were actually admitted?

It's worldwide emergency care. Not ER visit.

And it's not a claim. It's what they all do.

Rick

Correct. Emergency care outside the country is not a benefit of all MA plans. Never has been.

Some MA plans offer Emergency Care outside the US. As an example, Blue Shield 65 Plus HMO: "Our plan also covers emergency and urgently needed care outside of the United States and its
territories, up to $10,000 per year".

Then I'll clarify.

I've never seen an MA-HMO that didn't have worldwide emergency care. But it wouldn't be limited to ER room charges.

Rick

So if a person goes to the ER and then gets admitted for 5 days, nothing would be covered?

Technically, once an individual is admitted to the hospital, they would not pay the ER copay. They would pay the impatient hospital copay.

Did I just answer my own question?

Back