Working Remotely On Insurance Industry

molski

Greetings,

I have been reading insurance forums for quite some time now and it seems to be so informative. I travel 100% of the time and an basically a "pitchman" at consumer trade shows. It's great because I own my own business and can work whenever I want but problem is that I am away from my family a lot. Summers are typically slower with fall, winter, and spring very busy.

What I would ultimately like to do is ease into insurance with eventually cutting down on the amount of traveling I do(I do shows from LA to NH and everywhere in between) and the amount of shows per year. Obviously to do this I would need to work remotely. Is there any advice anyone can offer on a situation like this or a particular market mabye to enter. I realize P&C would probably be out of the question. Any info or advice would be great. Thanks!

Re: Working Remotely

I see that you've been on this forum for some time and still haven't gotten started.

First, I would determine the market that you can understand the most. Do you see the same "pitchmen" at these tradeshows often? Are they business owners? These COULD be contacts... however, be aware that if you are selling in other states that you need to be licensed for that state and appointed with each carrier before getting an application signed. That's for P&C or L&H.

Second, once you determine your market, you need to find out what you are going to offer that market. IMO, P&C seems to be more "hands on" than L&H. Based on your current situation, I'd probably be looking for L&H over P&C to ease your transition.

When are you going to find time to talk to people in your local area while you're traveling across the country? Hopefully, you're travelling to the same state many times a year... so you can do some business in each state while you're there for your other job. You'll need a license for each state, but that's not too expensive to obtain.

Then, once you've made some money... at some point you're going to need to "make the leap" to focus exclusively on L&H. I can't tell you when that can be, but you'll probably need to do it before it would feel completely comfortable.

With it being April, you'll want to maximize your opportunities this summer - since you said it was your slowest time of the year. Work hard locally and see what you can do THIS summer.

Then, after the summer, you'll have an idea of what you've done in terms of activity and business, and how to keep up that same level. Of course, you'll have to factor in any time you had to spend in travelling and doing your other job and if that time could've been reinvested back into insurance sales.

So, take advantage of the summer, work with your other salesmen contacts in other states, and see what happens!

If you were to sell insurance with carriers that have products that you could sell over the phone you could be anywhere in the country and sell to people in states you have a license.

But how much time are you really looking at investing in to get into the insurance biz?

The business, whilst extremely rewarding and profitable, is not one that can be entered in to lightly.

Back