2 birds

flecha76

Ok I admit I'm a newbie here. I've spent the whole day going over different topics around here, and just subscribed to the forums.
I've got two main questions
1. What's best to work for?
2. Who can give me good health insurance compared to what I have now?

Details:
1. I just went through an "interview" with UA the other day, felt a little uneasy, but the guy was offering straight to management if I agree to apply for the license and go to the online course right away that day.
So, I said what the hey, the worst is that I'd have a license to show on my resume, right? I signed up, went to the online course. Seems like a great course (license2go). I went through a bit of it, and passed all the "quiz" tests I did do. Then I took a break. Went searching for a little more info. Found this forum site, and went digging into the topics. Seems UA is a company to stay far away from. So, my question is... So if I get into selling Life and Health here in TX, what company is best? (I'm new to it, and otherwise know almost nothing about selling any insurance; though I did make some notes of what others have had to say on here).
So anyone care to say who is best to work for? What is the "deals" out there?

2. I myself need better health insurance than what I currently carry.
I am currently with Goldenrule, which says United Healthcare as well on my card. They gave me a plan that costs me about $250 a month, and my deductible is $2500. I spent some time in the hospital last year for what my family doc thought was meningitis, though it wasn't, and the docs kept me for a week trying to find out what is wrong with me only to release me saying "dunno". Though antibiotics cleared the mystery sickness up after a few days. And after that along with some MRI's for a suspected tumor that is just a little mini cyst not to worry about, I never reached my deductible last year, so what I've paid out over the year for the doctor visits and bills, they've only really paid for what's after my co-pay for the visits of just walking in to say hi, and nothing more after that. And overall, I'm more out of pocket than if I didn't even have insurance thanks to never reaching my deductible.
BUT, I do see a neurologist for a few pre-existing conditions. IE: back pain (thanks to the spinal tap gone wrong in the hospital that couldn't diagnose me, left me with a walker for a few months and with therapy I'm fine now expect occasional back pain).
I also have migraines, and my cholesterol is a little high (it's 209 when it should be less than 200). Otherwise I am healthy, perfect weight, no heart problems, or anything like that. (Hope I've provided enough info to get someone started in looking at insuring me) SO, what could anyone offer me?

Thanks!
~flecha76

Last edited:
1. I just went through an "interview" with UA the other day, felt a little uneasy, but the guy was offering straight to management if I agree to apply for the license and go to the online course right away that day.
So, I said what the hey, the worst is that I'd have a license to show on my resume, right? I signed up, went to the online course. Seems like a great course (license2go). I went through a bit of it, and passed all the "quiz" tests I did do. Then I took a break. Went searching for a little more info. Found this forum site, and went digging into the topics. Seems UA is a company to stay far away from. So, my question is... So if I get into selling Life and Health here in TX, what company is best? (I'm new to it, and otherwise know almost nothing about selling any insurance; though I did make some notes of what others have had to say on here).
So anyone care to say who is best to work for? What is the "deals" out there?

Find a local independent agent ask find out if you can work for him or her as a telemarketer, secretary, etc. to learn the biz. Learn the business and then write your own policy after thinking about the information I've posted below.

2. I myself need better health insurance than what I currently carry.
I am currently with Goldenrule, which says United Healthcare as well on my card. They gave me a plan that costs me about $250 a month, and my deductible is $2500. I spent some time in the hospital last year for what my family doc thought was meningitis, though it wasn't, and the docs kept me for a week trying to find out what is wrong with me only to release me saying "dunno". Though antibiotics cleared the mystery sickness up after a few days. And after that along with some MRI's for a suspected tumor that is just a little mini cyst not to worry about, I never reached my deductible last year, so what I've paid out over the year for the doctor visits and bills, they've only really paid for what's after my co-pay for the visits of just walking in to say hi, and nothing more after that. And overall, I'm more out of pocket than if I didn't even have insurance thanks to never reaching my deductible.
BUT, I do see a neurologist for a few pre-existing conditions. IE: back pain (thanks to the spinal tap gone wrong in the hospital that couldn't diagnose me, left me with a walker for a few months and with therapy I'm fine now expect occasional back pain).
I also have migraines, and my cholesterol is a little high (it's 209 when it should be less than 200). Otherwise I am healthy, perfect weight, no heart problems, or anything like that. (Hope I've provided enough info to get someone started in looking at insuring me) SO, what could anyone offer me?

I'm surprised nobody else chimed in yet, so I'll say my peace.

# 1 You need to look at the health insurance tests and read the messages in this forum again if you think saying "I need better insurance" is a good way to start a discussion. What exactly is better? Premium? Benefits? Carrier? Deductible?

# 2 If you plan to sell insurance you'll need to change your attitude and perspective to something a bit more professional and positive then "I never reached my deductible last year, so what I've paid out over the year for the doctor visits and bills, they've only really paid for what's after my co-pay for the visits of just walking in to say hi, and nothing more after that. And overall, I'm more out of pocket than if I didn't even have insurance thanks to never reaching my deductible."
It sounds like you have a problem because the insurance carrier didn't pay all your bills. How exactly are you more out of pocket vs. not having insurance? Unless you're trying to compare Medicaid to private health insurance?
# 3 What did you pay in medical costs for 2007? Do you have an HSA set-up? If not, you're wasting money since you already have a high deductible plan. For the most part you're liable for your premium and OOPM on most plans. If you have a Plan 100 with Golden Rule that would mean your liable for $2500 with all things being equal.

# 4 Did you look at your EOB statements to see what you were charged and what you had to pay. UHC has some very nice discounts depending upon the area, so getting access to a network discount vs. standard pricing helps to reduce your costs. See # 2!

# 5. You've provided about 20% of the information needed to gather up an accurate quote. Perhaps one of the TX natives will chime in.

Thanks for the reply.
1. I would prefer the secretary part, that's more the work I'm in now. I'd rather not jump into telemarketing (or cold calling, lol). I understand that's the way it is starting new, to deal with some cold calling. But I don't see how I'd truly learn from just cold calling to start out. I'm a paperwork happy person, and like dealing with people to help them out when they chose they want the help. Not, "why you calling me for no reason? I didn't ask for anyone to call me about this!" I do understand you get more by ALSO convincing such people that they are in need of the help too. But I don't want to start out that way. I want to jump in, really learning something.

2. I know I didn't provide everything needed to get a quote. (IE: age, height, exact weight, zip code, etc.) But I figured if anyone really thought I could be insured better based on what I gave so far, then they'd ask me the other specific questions themselves. I'm not too keen on giving exact personal info jumping into a new forum site. BUT, if anyone thinks they'd bring their 10foot pole anywhere near me to begin with, including my pre-existing conditions, then they'd show the interest.
And as for what I've paid, phew... sure it saved me by not having to pay the doc $80 buck just to walk in and say hi, I only paid $25 co-pay. But when it came to the bills after the fact, it takes the bills they get, tells the hospital, doc, labs, etc what they think it should be worth, apply that to my deductible, and I'm left with what the bill charges me.
I understand I'd have to have a more positive outlook if I'm going to go around selling to people, yet the way I see it... my customers may be giving me the same gripe about their current insurance thereby asking me what I could do to give them a better offer.
And how am I more out of pocket? Yaa, the plan didn't pay for any of my actual bills because my deductible was never met for the year. I only saved when I paid a co-pay, but the diff in the co-pay and full charge of just saying hi to a doc, didn't add up to anywhere close to what I paid every month to Goldenrule to begin with. And I'm stuck with high bills like my MRI's and therapy, that I'm struggling to pay.
And NO I don't have a HSA. Wish I did, but I don't have to means to really get one started right now. NOR has anyone offered to get me started with one. I really don't know much about it beyond that it's like a saving account just for medical.
I understand I'm supposed to be liable for my premium every month, and the $2500 deductible. But what is OOPM?
Yes I see my statements of what I owe. Which is more than I'm comfortable with. For instance, my insurance tells the MRI should be $$$ cost. And they apply that to my deductible. Yet the MRI place decides to charge me $1735 for the MRI. And for each therapy session, it's added up to my therapy charging me more than $4500. Why isn't that put to my deductible? According to my statements, I ALMOST reached my deductible, though not over. That's another area I get confused with.
Why are my actual bills totaling more than my deductible?
And going back to your #1 statement in question. I would like a better premium cost, lower deductible if possible, and a better discount overall. But who would really cover my butt with my pre-existing conditions?
Thanks again for the input. Hoping someone can still give me something to really look at too.
~flecha76

I would prefer the secretary part, that's more the work I'm in now. I'd rather not jump into telemarketing (or cold calling, lol). I understand that's the way it is starting new, to deal with some cold calling.

I'd suggest you locate some local agents and see if secretary positions are available.

But I don't see how I'd truly learn from just cold calling to start out. I'm a paperwork happy person, and like dealing with people to help them out when they chose they want the help. Not, "why you calling me for no reason? I didn't ask for anyone to call me about this!" I do understand you get more by ALSO convincing such people that they are in need of the help too. But I don't want to start out that way. I want to jump in, really learning something.

But I don't see how I'd truly learn from just cold calling to start out. I'm a paperwork happy person, and like dealing with people to help them out when they chose they want the help. Not, "why you calling me for no reason? I didn't ask for anyone to call me about this!"

It sounds like you would like a constant stream of people calling you who are interested in looking at their insurance options. If you're new without any money you have a 100% chance of failing if you do not have a system in place to prospect for new clients.

You can decrease that number by learning how to prospect or market via other avenues. On a side note, I've never heard ANYBODY say the aforementioned line in bold to me or my previous telemarketers. If they did say something like that I'd probably simply thank them for their time, hang up and move on. No harm, no foul.

I do understand you get more by ALSO convincing such people that they are in need of the help too. But I don't want to start out that way. I want to jump in, really learning something.

That is incorrect. I help people by persuading them to take my advice because it serves their best interest. You want to learn something new, but do not wish to learn one time-tested method way of starting off in the insurance industry and increasing revenue. You can definitely start off as a secretary helping out an agent, but you're learning curve with probably be 2-4 times as long.

Telemarketing would tell you right away if you can make a good living selling insurance because it means that an individual is determined, flexible, self-disciplined and motivated. If you do not have any of those qualities I'd stay away from selling anything. You can also try B2B, but that might also lead to rejection.

I understand I'd have to have a more positive outlook if I'm going to go around selling to people, yet the way I see it... my customers may be giving me the same gripe about their current insurance thereby asking me what I could do to give them a better offer.

That's a valid reason to learn about health insurance options.

And how am I more out of pocket? Yaa, the plan didn't pay for any of my actual bills because my deductible was never met for the year. I only saved when I paid a co-pay, but the diff in the co-pay and full charge of just saying hi to a doc, didn't add up to anywhere close to what I paid every month to Goldenrule to begin with. And I'm stuck with high bills like my MRI's and therapy, that I'm struggling to pay.

Do you currently have an insurance agent? How did you originally purchase your current health plan? With the exception of state mandates, services that are covered while at a doctor's office and any preventative care, NO insurance carrier will pay for ANY services before the deductible has been met.

Insurance is something you buy, but hope to never use...similar to homeowners insurance. If you're struggling to pay then I suggest you make alternative payment arrangements and/or get another job to help you pay the bills.

I understand I'm supposed to be liable for my premium every month, and the $2500 deductible. But what is OOPM?

OOPM is the out-of-pocket maximum. The short answer is that OOPM is the amount you're potentially liable for in any given year that includes your deductible and coinsurance (stop loss) amount. This may or may not include any additional copays that have to be paid.

Yes I see my statements of what I owe. Which is more than I'm comfortable with. For instance, my insurance tells the MRI should be $$$ cost. And they apply that to my deductible. Yet the MRI place decides to charge me $1735 for the MRI.

Unless you went out of network or the services rendered were not covered under your plan, the radiology clinic, hospital, etc. cannot charge you more money as per their contract with Golden Rule (GR). I'm sorry to hear that you're not comfortable with what you owe, but that is the price you have to pay now for not having somebody (insurance agent) on your side give you ideas about ways to reduce your health care costs.

It doesn't matter what MRI place charges you. All that matters is what GR says you owe. $1735 is a lot of money for an MRI. It should cost you about 1/3 to 1/2 of that depending upon the MRI test and location of the actual testing center.

And for each therapy session, it's added up to my therapy charging me more than $4500. Why isn't that put to my deductible? According to my statements, I ALMOST reached my deductible, though not over. That's another area I get confused with.

The amount you pay gets applied towards your deductible and THEN you and the insurance company split the difference up to your OOPM depending upon your coinsurance level.

Why are my actual bills totaling more than my deductible?

See the OOPM notation above. Most individual policies limit benefits for physical therapy.

And going back to your #1 statement in question. I would like a better premium cost, lower deductible if possible, and a better discount overall. But who would really cover my butt with my pre-existing conditions?
Thanks again for the input. Hoping someone can still give me something to really look at too.

BTW, it would help if you break up your posting in multiple paragraphs. Visit this website Texas Health Insurance Risk Pool Home Page for Texans in Need of a Health Plan. and contact one of the TX agents on the forum for more information.

Back