New Forum Design and iPhone Theme

valdet

Webmaster
Administrator
Hi everyone.

This evening, we quietly published the new forum design. This new design is focused to be more optimized/streamlined for better user experience and quicker loading. The SEO effects are also improved along the way. It may look as much the same as old design, but at least you won't get to see the propeller that was up top. :)

As requested, an iPhone compatible theme has also been developed. Users who browse the forum through an iPhone or any mobile device will be automatically redirected to view the forum in iPhone skin. That skin is very light and loads very quick on mobile devices.

There will be more features, sections and other stuff coming up in near future, so stay tuned.

I hope you like the new design and please give us your feedback if you see anything not working properly.

Cheers from beautiful Kosova,
Val.

Hi everyone.

This evening, we quietly published the new forum design. This new design is focused to be more optimized/streamlined for better user experience and quicker loading. The SEO effects are also improved along the way. It may look as much the same as old design, but at least you won't get to see the propeller that was up top. :)

As requested, an iPhone compatible theme has also been developed. Users who browse the forum through an iPhone or any mobile device will be automatically redirected to view the forum in iPhone skin. That skin is very light and loads very quick on mobile devices.

There will be more features, sections and other stuff coming up in near future, so stay tuned.

I hope you like the new design and please give us your feedback if you see anything not working properly.

Cheers from beautiful Kosova,
Val.

Your continued work and development are appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Nice job. However most of us don't care if it pretty. We want it FAST(er). In the evenings on the Pacific coast, the site is unusable. I know you are working on it.

One suggestion:

On the home page could you change:

Welcome to the largest insurance forum in the net with over 176,000 posts on every conceivable insurance topic.

to: "on the net"

Contrary to what we thought as kids when TV first came out (Yeah, I was around for that too!) the man was not IN your TV he was ON it!

Just a suggestion. Not a big deal.

• Staff
xrac, chumps, thanks for nice comments. I guess WebSpellCheck was from the cracked version therefore the urban lingo used in third post. ;)

Al the problem with loading is being addressed, but incidentally on evenings on Pacific Time, there are more cron jobs running along with complete database optimization and backup. That is most likely what is causing slow pageload on your end. The resources on website container are very optimized and the peak memory usage is just over 50%. And yes, I made the correction on homepage too. Thanks for noticing that.

Regards,
Val.

Last edited:
Since the vast majority of users are in the USA, why not set the database optimization and any cron jobs this board runs to 1 AM PDT which is 4 AM on the East coast. Most are asleep then.

Where is this board hosted? What ISP?

Are the cron jobs for this board or for others on the server? Is it time to consider a dedicated server for this board? It's big, but its not THAT big. I would think you could run on a virtual server with only a few other instances of other OSes running.

The database optimization should not take long or much in the way of resources since it is done each night. It only takes a long time if not done often. All it does is repair chains and gets rid of any orphan records. Of course if you are doing it on an already impacted server (either hardware or software) there is going to be latency like what we see now.)

As for backup, are you doing a full backup or an incremental? What or where are you backing it up to?

Al

• Staff
Ok, I am sure many of you got an iPhone, Blackberry or some other PDA. Can someone please post some feedback or screenshots? Let's see if everything looks in order when you browse the forum on mobile version.

If none of you respond, I guess we'll have to ask prez Obama for help. He would probably have a good experience viewing the site with his beloved Blackberry. :)

Just looked at it on my Blackberry and the onlything messed up was the tabs at the top Home, Forum, Agent Resources etc are all lined up one under the other in the middle of th page. Don't have a screen shot I can post right now...

Back