All the Annuity Come-on Fluff Out There

Charpress

Guru
1000 Post Club
I get bombarded by emails every day, and you probably do too, with all the reasons I should go with a particular company, FMO, mailing house, etc.

Besides the usual "You too can be a $30 million producer like our founder" there was one that caught my interest enough to give up my email address to download the promotion.

It was some suggested workbooks to hand out in seminars. That could be good -I always do a workbook so people have something to take home to remember me and what we talked about. I do the workbook so that people have to fill in some answers to questions that come up in the seminar and it is done in a fun way, anyway...

The workbook sample I was sent had a page each of a word jumble, anagram, and crossword puzzle. The "answers" were words or phrases like "fixed annuity" and so on. Oh wow. What is this, third grade? So you go through a seminar and help people figure out that anitynu is actually is annuity? I can't imagine a better way to insult an audience.

I've seen lame before, but this has convinced me that I don't need to waste time with whatever is made to sound good, but is a big time waster. I have to say that 95% of the "free seminars" out there are lame fluff as well.

Anyone come across any email downloads or promotions that are worthwhile?

If you like workbooks, Emerald Seminars has them with their seminars. I know Mass has some seminars that have workbooks.
I remember Mike Kaselsomething who writes for LifeHealthPro or one of those, saying that all seminars are dead, and that the way to truly get appointments/conversions is to drop the selling act and get people to open up through the use of games, workbooks etc during a seminar. The atmosphere becomes much more conducive for educating and not selling.

I know a popular seminar company says to stand in the back to collect the seminar sheets for "compliance" purposes and has a preset appointment scheduled for them with a nice notice in the workbook/folder so they have to unsign up or accept something of value. Stand in the back, collect the compliance sheet, shake everyone's hand, and call to confirm the appointment.

I get bombarded by emails every day, and you probably do too, with all the reasons I should go with a particular company, FMO, mailing house, etc.

Besides the usual "You too can be a $30 million producer like our founder" there was one that caught my interest enough to give up my email address to download the promotion.

It was some suggested workbooks to hand out in seminars. That could be good -I always do a workbook so people have something to take home to remember me and what we talked about. I do the workbook so that people have to fill in some answers to questions that come up in the seminar and it is done in a fun way, anyway...

The workbook sample I was sent had a page each of a word jumble, anagram, and crossword puzzle. The "answers" were words or phrases like "fixed annuity" and so on. Oh wow. What is this, third grade? So you go through a seminar and help people figure out that anitynu is actually is annuity? I can't imagine a better way to insult an audience.

I've seen lame before, but this has convinced me that I don't need to waste time with whatever is made to sound good, but is a big time waster. I have to say that 95% of the "free seminars" out there are lame fluff as well.

Anyone come across any email downloads or promotions that are worthwhile?

Charpress - I just Laughed out Loud when reading this. I agree with you completely. I am run my own book and it's small, the way I like it. Anyways, most of the agents I work do seminars and they all have their own thing that works for them. Having seen almost all of my guys' presentations, one thing I can tell you is that it really doesn't matter much about the information on the powerpoint. The biggest thing is that you make a connection with them and they like you - obviously one way to do this is keeping them engaged, which is what the workbook sounds like it's designed to do. If you need any ideas, I have some that work for the guys I work with.

If you like workbooks, Emerald Seminars has them with their seminars. I know Mass has some seminars that have workbooks.

Yep, Emerald has come up with some good stuff. But then you pay for their work as opposed to the fluff that comes down the pike at you through the Internet.

The fluff I'm talking about is what really lame marketers reckon will entice us to join their ranks -either as producers or as consumers of their wares.

----------

one thing I can tell you is that it really doesn't matter much about the information on the powerpoint. The biggest thing is that you make a connection with them and they like you - obviously one way to do this is keeping them engaged, which is what the workbook sounds like it's designed to do. If you need any ideas, I have some that work for the guys I work with.

Yep, I totally agree. And to take it a step further, I always try to get some facts across that people have never heard before but that impacts them directly. It is all to get that connection and to come across as the guy who knows more than the other guy at the last seminar they went to. Some people will connect no matter what and some won't no matter what. The difference is all those people in between.

I have been on the sidelines for emerald's stuff, have you used them before or know anyone who has?

I haven't dealt with them in years. I think probably Broadridge/Forefield has the most comprehensive materials -especially for newsletters. Not terribly impressed with their seminar packages, but I do like their advisor alerts which you can pass on to clients via your Website or email.

They have a free 30 day trial period which gives you access to everything. If you want, then you can pay for whatever you think is useful on an annual basis.

I have been on the sidelines for emerald's stuff, have you used them before or know anyone who has?

I dismissed emerald just on the cost of their mailers alone.

I think of them more as a place where registered reps "must" go because of compliance.

Back