Anyone Work for Ameri-life?

There are some shady folks working here. One exec ran up his girlfriends credit card and left her with the bill. She's being sued for the balance. I heard it's like $30,000. They do seem to get away with screwing people over.

Without going into a long list of practices unfavorable to the agent, let me remind you to review what can be required of an independent contractor and what can not. Amerilife has, clearly paid no attention to the IRS statutes. You are not an employee and what an employer can require of an employee, Amerilife can not require of an independent contractor. Beware of Amerilife pressuring you to get appointed by a large number of carriers, many with which they conduct no business. Doing so will tie your hands when you leave Amerilife, and the percentages are high that you will. The so called "Bond Account" is the vehicle with which Amerilife will get more of your earned money than you will. It will also serve to further tie your hands in the insurance industry after you leave to go elsewhere, especially if you owe a balance to the "Bond" account. Amerilife will charge you fees for desk space, E&O insurance (whether you already have it or not) and training. The training is good ... the rest is a rip off. Bottom line ... Amerilife will make you a source of revenue to them plus get an override of commissions from everything you manage to write. They provide you "lists" and charge you (again, through the "Bond" account) for leads. Lists are NOT leads. Do your homework and be aware.

Without going into a long list of practices unfavorable to the agent, let me remind you to review what can be required of an independent contractor and what can not. Amerilife has, clearly paid no attention to the IRS statutes. You are not an employee and what an employer can require of an employee, Amerilife can not require of an independent contractor. Beware of Amerilife pressuring you to get appointed by a large number of carriers, many with which they conduct no business. Doing so will tie your hands when you leave Amerilife, and the percentages are high that you will. The so called "Bond Account" is the vehicle with which Amerilife will get more of your earned money than you will. It will also serve to further tie your hands in the insurance industry after you leave to go elsewhere, especially if you owe a balance to the "Bond" account. Amerilife will charge you fees for desk space, E&O insurance (whether you already have it or not) and training. The training is good ... the rest is a rip off. Bottom line ... Amerilife will make you a source of revenue to them plus get an override of commissions from everything you manage to write. They provide you "lists" and charge you (again, through the "Bond" account) for leads. Lists are NOT leads. Do your homework and be aware.

First you need to know the sneaky, under handed crap they pull on people. They solicit brand new agents and tell them how wonderful it is. Then the put a pile of paperwork in front of you to sign ( all tabbed for you). You have no idea at this point what they are all about and you're thinking, YAY, I have a job already. But they don't tell you that you just accepted a job without making any money. They charge you for some of those companies and they don't even use them. They take advantage of new agents bad. Thank God I saw this and left after 4 months. I wish they would be shut down !! The first owner, I heard, was an awesome person to work for. He retired and the new owners suck and rip off agents. Why do you think there is such a big turnover ? Shady :mad:

Everything is true about what they say about Amerilife. I was told I had to also pay off advances, which I finally agreed to a Promissory note...but waited for about 8 months while the policyholders paid it down some more. But had to do this in order to remove the vector. Another thing, is that they do not release agents to any IMO's, outside brokers, etc. Only within the marketing group...and that is it. This is not common practice in the industry by reputable organizations (I question the legality). If you join Amerilife, be it the Marketing group or Career Sector. be damned sure this is a life-long investment you are making.

Amerilife refused to release my contract. no surprise there. everyone knows this is an ongoing problem.They remind me of Gollum.. 'my agent. mine. all mine' Greedy company who protects even the worst of the worst. i heard the last ceo was told of exec who committed insurance fraud and tax fraud, and nothing happened. Dix86 is right. SHADY

and a word of caution.. if you file a complaint or get an attorney, theres a good chance your personnel file with all correspondence will 'disappear'

Back