Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Annuities Forum

Reply to Bankruptcy in Califonia     
Old 04-24-2017, 06:35 PM   #1

State: Dradonus is an Insurance Agent from
Bankruptcy in Califonia Bankruptcy in Califonia
Hey, guys. New to the site. I am an Insurence Only Producer and been selling FIA's for four years now. However, I came across something I do not know.

I have clients that are claiming their Mother's FIA. They want to roll it over, only, the daughter is in the middle of a California Bankruptcy. I know in the state of Arizona, everything would be peachy. But I do not know California Law.

Can someone know what the law states on inheritance money, Annuities, Inherited IRA's, and Regular IRA's for California?

She is in the middle of a chapter 13. Forgot to put that.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Bankruptcy in Califonia

Old 04-24-2017, 06:42 PM   #2
DHK
Guru
DHK on Bankruptcy in Califonia

State: DHK is an Insurance Agent from California
DHK is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Bankruptcy in Califonia Re: Bankruptcy in Califonia
Little to no creditor protection in California.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:50 AM   #3
Guru

State: walthamny is an Insurance Agent from Massachusetts
If the daughter is in chapter 13 bankruptcy, any asset she receives has to go the the trustee first. Inheritance, lottery etc. When you sign a chapter 13 plan, you agree to disclose all inheritances during the bankruptcy and plus 1 year after discharge. If you don't disclose, It is a felony and also if they find out you will have the bankruptcy dismissed all together.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #4

Bankruptcy in Califonia Re: Bankruptcy in Califonia Dradonus is the thread starter for: Bankruptcy in Califonia

Ahh, This sucks. I have another way of doing things, it is just undesirable. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
Guru

State: walthamny is an Insurance Agent from Massachusetts
DOn't try to give advice on how to hide assets from the trustee. If you are thinking about using someone else as a beneficiary and then transferring the funds after the chapter 13 is over, you could lose your license.

Financial advisors can give advice prefiling and there are ways to structure your affairs before filing, however, once a chapter 13 is filed, US Trustee takes over. Anything financial needs their approval. You can sell term insurance to people during the chapter 13 but even that needs approval. I have quite of few clients who are bankruptcy lawyers so I know plenty of cases like yours that don't have a happy ending.

It is a chapter 13 case so your client has assets, it is not too difficult for the trustee to cross check your clients relatives and search for any probate filings or death notices. Most US bankruptcy trustees are experienced attorneys, they have seen all sorts of tricks. Any money they find goes against their fees anyway.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #6

Bankruptcy in Califonia Re: Bankruptcy in Califonia Dradonus is the thread starter for: Bankruptcy in Califonia

Technically, at the current moment, the trust owns the money. So the trustee can hold the money until maturity, which by then, chapter 13 will be done. I am talking to their bankruptcy attorney about it, and that is most likely the best case scenario.
Reply to Bankruptcy in Califonia 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Annuities Forum