Can SEPP Be Stopped After Age 59 1/2?

Drifting

Expert
I've been stuck in a variable annuity for a long time (sold by over zealous agent a long time ago -- long story). Thankfully I'm with Vanguard now so at least my fees are much much lower. I'm only paying like 0.70% more in fees than if I was out of this annuity. I set up a SEPP program (amortization method) a few years ago. Once I turn age 59 1/2 I want to get completely out of this annuity over perhaps a 5 year period. Will I be subject to taxes on the prior SEPP withdrawals that I took? My understanding is that the only requirement with a SEPP is that you have to continue the SEPP for 5 years and at least until age 59 1/2. Correct?

Retirement Plans FAQs regarding Substantially Equal Periodic Payments

When do I fulfill my obligation to take substantially equal periodic payments?

The substantially equal period payments must generally continue for at least five full years, or if later, until age 59 ½. For example, if you began taking payments at age 56 on December 1, 2006, you may not take a different distribution or alter the amount of the payment until December 1, 2011, even though your fifth payment was taken on December 1, 2010.

If you begin taking substantially equal periodic payments on December 1, 2005, and you turn 59 ½ on July 1, 2011, you may not take a different distribution or alter the amount of the payment until July 1, 2011.

Basically - age 59 1/2 or 5 years... whichever is longer.

Latest posts

Back