Dave Ramsey Owns an Annuity

It says 5% payout, I would take it he is speaking of a rider and the fees associated with the rider.

You're giving him too much credit. In the same blog he talks about what the balance of a 10k investment would be after 30 years using the 3.85% return. He probably doesn't even know what a rider is. Plus, until recently, fixed annuities (not index annuities) haven't had options for riders.

In one of his recent books where he is answering questions, someone asks if it's a good idea to prepay your funeral.

His answer was no because if you took that same $10,000 and invested it (with one of his preferred providers no doubt) at age 20 and left it alone until you retired you would have one million dollars.

This sounds realistic because a lot of 20-year olds that have saved up $10,000 can't wait to get down to the funeral home and prepay their funeral with it. And I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing that $10,000 will compound into $1,000,000 during our lifetime.

But what do I know?

Newby said:
In one of his recent books where he is answering questions, someone asks if it's a good idea to prepay your funeral.

His answer was no because if you took that same $10,000 and invested it (with one of his preferred providers no doubt) at age 20 and left it alone until you retired you would have one million dollars.

This sounds realistic because a lot of 20-year olds that have saved up $10,000 can't wait to get down to the funeral home and prepay their funeral with it. And I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing that $10,000 will compound into $1,000,000 during our lifetime.

But what do I know?

And I am sure the question came from someone much older and the response made them shake thier head like.....But I am 80 years old I don't have 40 years to wait and take risks in the market.

And I am sure the question came from someone much older and the response made them shake thier head like.....But I am 80 years old I don't have 40 years to wait and take risks in the market.

Ramsey is not considering taxes, inflation, or market fluctuations in his advice.

The best thing I learned from Dave Ramsey was how to pronounce Tennessee!

Otherwise, not so much- although I did always love to hear the "We're debt free" calls on Friday's.

Back