Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Annuities Forum

Reply to Deferred Annuity Question     
Old 10-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Expert

State: maximas is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
Deferred Annuity Question Deferred Annuity Question
I have a married couple who I sold a DI policy to that wants to start a deferred annuity. They only want to put about $70 to $100 a month into it. The wife is 51 and the husband is 47. I am very inexperienced with annuities and could use a little advice…
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have been looking at ING, American Equity, and a few others and I cannot find anything even close to this. Does anyone offer a CD-type annuity that is worth having?
------------------------------------

Last edited by maximas; 10-10-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Posts merged
  Reply With Quote to Deferred Annuity Question

Old 10-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Guru
xrac on Deferred Annuity Question - Insurance Forum

State: xrac is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
xrac is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Deferred Annuity Question Re: Deferred Annuity Question
I would start with a good fixed annuity that will allow you to start with a small monthly contribution. In cases like that I just call the wholesaler that we use and see what they have available. What company/companies do you sell for and do they offer annuities?
Old 10-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
Guru
padthaiforlunch on Deferred Annuity Question - Insurance Forum

State: padthaiforlunch is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
padthaiforlunch is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Great American has an FIA that will let them make monthly payments as low as $50/month. They will need an initial premium of $1000.

A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things, but cannot receive great ones."

--Lord Chesterfield
Old 10-11-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
Expert

Deferred Annuity Question Re: Deferred Annuity Question maximas is the thread starter for: Deferred Annuity Question

xrac - I am appointed with ING, Aviva, West Coast Life, and others. The companies, I think, are not the problem... It's my general lack of knowledge of the available products that is the problem.

padthaiforlunch - I will look into your suggestion. That is better than the $10k premium I've seen.

I appreciate the help!

Register Now for FREE!
To sign up for your FREE INSTANT account, please complete the form.

Username:
    Password:   Confirm Password:     E-Mail:   Confirm E-Mail:     

Question of the day:   2+7 equals I agree to forum rules 

Old 10-11-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
Guru
HarryRenard on Deferred Annuity Question - Insurance Forum

State: HarryRenard is an Insurance Agent from Maryland
I think that is a problem, i dont think Aviva or Ing have anything you can start with $100 a month, not sure about the others you listed.
I think that LSW you can start with $50 a month NO initial deposit needed, and I believe American General offers a simalar product, just check some products must be Qualified with those low monthly's, which is no big deal as long as they dont all ready have.
Personaly I would consider a ROth if they meet the requirements.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
Expert

Deferred Annuity Question Re: Deferred Annuity Question maximas is the thread starter for: Deferred Annuity Question

I am appointed with American General, so I will see what they offer.

As far as a Roth goes, I know they do not surpass the income threshold. That said, are there any other disqualifying factors?

Originally Posted by HarryRenard View Post
I think that is a problem, i dont think Aviva or Ing have anything you can start with $100 a month, not sure about the others you listed.
I think that LSW you can start with $50 a month NO initial deposit needed, and I believe American General offers a simalar product, just check some products must be Qualified with those low monthly's, which is no big deal as long as they dont all ready have.
Personaly I would consider a ROth if they meet the requirements.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Guru
Norwayguy on Deferred Annuity Question - Insurance Forum

State: Norwayguy is an Insurance Agent from Maine
Norwayguy is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
American General recently raised their minimum monthly flex premium to $300 per month...Great American(Annuity Investors) flexmax product allows you to start with $50 per month no initial deposit, Lafayette Life allows $84 per month minimum until $1000 in the policy then no more limits on contributions, LSW I believe is $100 per month.

Peter G Langelier
plangelier@langelierinsurance.com http://www.langelierinsurance.com
Old 10-12-2009, 06:24 AM   #8
Guru
HarryRenard on Deferred Annuity Question - Insurance Forum

State: HarryRenard is an Insurance Agent from Maryland
I am pretty sure that LSW still offers a few options for $50 a month PAC plan. And if they dont have IRA's I would talk with them about a Roth Ira, the tax free benefits could be nice and who knows they might like it enough to contribute a little extra so you can squeeze a check out of it. By the way LSW does not require an initial deposit and its pretty safe to say someone looking to save 70-100 doesnt have a bigger deposit to spend, and thats just my experince.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #9
Guru
Franz Kafka on Deferred Annuity Question - Insurance Forum

State: Franz Kafka is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Franz Kafka is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Are they contributing to their qualified plans through work? If yes and they qualify, definitely ROTH. If not, ask them how in the world they expect to retire on 100 bucks a month.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #10
Expert

Yes, they are contributing to qualified plans. They wanted to start out at a hundred and once their mortgage is paid off ramp up from there. They have most of their investments in relatively aggressive funds, so they wanted to counter that with relative safety an annuity provides. They just don't have the extra cash to "properly" fund anything until they pay off their mortgage.

Originally Posted by Franz Kafka View Post
Are they contributing to their qualified plans through work? If yes and they qualify, definitely ROTH. If not, ask them how in the world they expect to retire on 100 bucks a month.

Reply to Deferred Annuity Question 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Annuities Forum

Tags
annuity