Newer to Insurance, Questions About Annuities

This wasn't life insurance. It was my dad's pension. So for the last year the pension has been going into my dad's bank account with him and his girlfriend on it. (Which the bank was notified of his death.) The insurance company told my mom that they will stop payments going forward but since she was only suppose to be getting half of the payments that they paid out in the last year that they are not going to pay her until they receive back half of the money they paid out. So her $350 a month is going to be paying back the $700 a month that was paid for the last year, and once that's paid then she'll start receiving her payments. I just don't see why she is being held responsible for money she never received. Shouldn't the insurance company be going after the girlfriend who has been taking the money that she's not entitled to? How is that not fraud?

This wasn't life insurance. It was my dad's pension. So for the last year the pension has been going into my dad's bank account with him and his girlfriend on it. (Which the bank was notified of his death.) The insurance company told my mom that they will stop payments going forward but since she was only suppose to be getting half of the payments that they paid out in the last year that they are not going to pay her until they receive back half of the money they paid out. So her $350 a month is going to be paying back the $700 a month that was paid for the last year, and once that's paid then she'll start receiving her payments. I just don't see why she is being held responsible for money she never received. Shouldn't the insurance company be going after the girlfriend who has been taking the money that she's not entitled to? How is that not fraud?

Please read what I wrote, don't skim.

The error is with the insurance company, they will have to go and get the funds back. It may help to complain to division of insurance of your state too. You could also name the insurance company here, they check social media for any bad press including this board. It would not surprise me if this gets corrected quickly.

The insurance company also does not want that their internal controls were weak exposed. On the hand, the Social Security death master file is never perfect. It has so many errors. Congress never can get their act and fix it.

Last edited:
Back