Is There a July Effect in Annuities?

This is the third year running, that I get consistent annuity appointments beginning the second week of July. If the last two years are any indication, it should continue to the end of August.

I must say, it is a lot of fun, and getting to see some of the old shitt that was out there 30, 40 years ago is somewhat edifying. I came across a forty year old annuity with a 5.1% min. Unfortunately, I had to tell her that I couldn't touch it with a 10 ft. pole. She was disappointed, so I asked my FMO if anyone would do it, and he said not if they valued their license.

Last year, I came within $25K of getting a trip off of July and August production. Is this something that is a pattern in the industry?

How are you prospecting for these appointments?

Pushing hard during Open Enrollment with Med Supp Clients and asking for referrals for the annuity biz. They wait six months and call me back. Only downside is when you go begging, you have to be okay with what you get, which this year they have been small. The work is the same, but not the money. That's the hardest part about it.

What's your angle, higher interest rates than cds, saving on social security taxes, or lifetime income?

Those are all good lead in ideas. A lot of times, they're people that have a good bit of cash that is in a savings account, or MM fund or sometimes an annuity that is out of surrender. This year for the first time, I've hit some people with annuities as a "lead in" product. It will take a few months to see if it works. I have some that are "thinking" emailing me, calling to talk, but nothing yet on those prospects.

Back