Who to Use for Series 65 Course?

Motsyball

I posted this on the licensing board a couple days ago and have yet to get a response so I thought I would try posting it here also. I've been an agent for over 20 years. Occasionally I roll over someones small retirement account into an indexed annuity however any of the big money I always refer to my partner who is a CFP. I am looking to get my series 65 since I am only a licensed life agent and he can not pay me on any money he manages from my referrals but to also to cover me over the new DOL rule when writing any fixed annuities. Yes I understand that the new DOL rule might be over turned but we all know this is the direction our industry is going so why not go ahead and get my series 65 to cover me? It will increase my income since there is almost 10 million dollars of money my partner is managing for my clients that I could be receiving an income from.

With all that being said, there are a lot of companies out there that offer series 65 courses so which ones do you highly recommend? I am not as much concerned about the cost as I am on how well they prepare me for the series 65 exam. Does anyone know which company/course has the best pass rate on the exam? Right now I am looking at; Pass Perfect, Securities Training Corp, Solomon Exam, Training Consultants, A. D. Banker, Kaplan & Exam FX (which merged with TesTeachers). I live in KY so I can't find a classroom course or a live course. I would prefer a video course over a correspondence course. So with all that being said, which company do you recommend I use for preparing me for the series 65 exam? Your input is appreciated.

Last edited:
I took the Series 66 (65 + 63 in one exam) 12 years ago, and I would STAY AWAY FROM STC. STC was very good for the Series 7, but the 66 was terrible, and considering the 65 is also "legalese", I'd still stay away from STC for the 65.

At the time, you needed a 71% or better to pass.

1st time: 70 (missed it by 1 question)
2nd time: 66 (and this was after studying for my Series 7)
3rd time: 72 or 73 (I can't recall.)

If you didn't pass by the 3rd time, you'd have to wait 6 months to attempt it again. I barely passed.

If I was to take the Series 65, I'd pick TesTeachers (or whoever they are now). However, I wouldn't just stick with just one provider's practice exams. Once you're scoring 85% or better on practice exams, get another provider's practice exams and try those.

Hi. I've heard the same positive information about using TestTeachers for the 65. Also, on your smart device you can download an app called Quizlet and you can also google it on your computer. Then search for Series 65. Investipedia and Kahn Academy on Youtube also usually has good free information. Good Luck..

Lin

Last edited:
Stay away from Robert Walker's course.......although I passed first try while studying during after a 10 hour work day everyday.........I just did not feel like it prepared me very well. From what I read though, the test can be all over the place.......

Looks like a few votes for Testeachers.

Does Testeachers have a good book to read ?

I started with ExamFX who told me they bought Testeachers. So they let me look at the online materials with Testeachers but won't let me check out their book.

The online material is following a sequence of many videos along with a PDF's of selected reading that pertains to the videos. The PDF's are usually 3 to 10 pages from what I have seen.

I don't know why they chose to do it this way, maybe it breaks things up a bit. The videos seem decent.

Thanks!

I'll add another vote for TestTeachers - I just used them to pass the 65 last year. I wanted/needed something that was more than just reading books, especially online only. Their videos were great and really broke down what I needed to know. I downloaded the pdf's for each course, and then just printed out the parts I wanted. Followed the advice they gave for studying and taking the assessment tests, and passed with no problem.

Back