Does Aflac's Life Insurance Policy Require a Drug Test?

Jsmith35

Hey everyone! I have a few questions regarding the medical exam for a life insurance policy from Aflac. I posted this in another section on this forum, but I don't think it was the right place. It involves marijuana use, so if you feel the need to pass judgement, please keep your comments to yourself. Thank you.

I recently found out that my mom is working on getting me life insurance through Aflac. I'm not really sure what the exact policy is, but she said something about it being around $12 a month (I'm not sure if she was guessing, or actually knew that). I'm a 23 year old male, and am currently residing in Missouri. I say that in case it helps anyone identify what I'd possibly be getting. I've heard some policies have different, or sometimes no medical exams.

She said they may contact me to come in for for a medical exam/drug test. The problem is, I'm a once daily, long term (2 years) cannabis smoker. She mentioned that the test might be around mid January, so I don't think there's enough time for me to get it all out of my system, even if I quit now. I'm worried because I honestly don't want my mother to know. I don't think she'd take it very well if she found out. She's in her 60s, and a bit old school when it comes to that subject. I love her, but I'm an adult, and I don't think it's her business whether or not I smoke marijuana. It would be best if she didn't find out.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with Aflac's medical exam for life insurance. What does the medical exam consist of? Do they test for THC (marijuana)? Will there even be an exam? If they do test for THC/drugs, do they use a urine, blood, hair, or mouth swab test? Depending on which test they use, I might be able to beat it.

If there is a drug test of some kind, and I fail for THC, will my plan be rejected, or will costs go up? I've heard the costs will most likely go up, similar to that of habitual tobacco users. If that's true, I would be okay with it, as long as there was confidentiality between me, Aflac, and the doctor.

I know my mother is the one paying for it, but since I'm legally an adult, wouldn't I be able to keep the test confidential? If I fail, is it possible that they would automatically contact her, and tell her I tested positive for THC? If they don't automatically tell her, would she still be able to call and inquire what specifically caused my rates to go up?

I know there are a lot of specific questions, and it's a weird situation, but if anyone has any information, I'd appreciate it. I'm really close with my mom, but we don't share the same opinions on cannabis use. That's a talk for another day. I know I'm a "grown ass man now, and shouldn't care," but I would just rather her not think less of me at this point in my life.

Hey everyone! I have a few questions regarding the medical exam for a life insurance policy from Aflac. I posted this in another section on this forum, but I don't think it was the right place. It involves marijuana use, so if you feel the need to pass judgement, please keep your comments to yourself. Thank you.

I recently found out that my mom is working on getting me life insurance through Aflac. I'm not really sure what the exact policy is, but she said something about it being around $12 a month (I'm not sure if she was guessing, or actually knew that). I'm a 23 year old male, and am currently residing in Missouri. I say that in case it helps anyone identify what I'd possibly be getting. I've heard some policies have different, or sometimes no medical exams.

She said they may contact me to come in for for a medical exam/drug test. The problem is, I'm a once daily, long term (2 years) cannabis smoker. She mentioned that the test might be around mid January, so I don't think there's enough time for me to get it all out of my system, even if I quit now. I'm worried because I honestly don't want my mother to know. I don't think she'd take it very well if she found out. She's in her 60s, and a bit old school when it comes to that subject. I love her, but I'm an adult, and I don't think it's her business whether or not I smoke marijuana. It would be best if she didn't find out.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with Aflac's medical exam for life insurance. What does the medical exam consist of? Do they test for THC (marijuana)? Will there even be an exam? If they do test for THC/drugs, do they use a urine, blood, hair, or mouth swab test? Depending on which test they use, I might be able to beat it.

If there is a drug test of some kind, and I fail for THC, will my plan be rejected, or will costs go up? I've heard the costs will most likely go up, similar to that of habitual tobacco users. If that's true, I would be okay with it, as long as there was confidentiality between me, Aflac, and the doctor.

I know my mother is the one paying for it, but since I'm legally an adult, wouldn't I be able to keep the test confidential? If I fail, is it possible that they would automatically contact her, and tell her I tested positive for THC? If they don't automatically tell her, would she still be able to call and inquire what specifically caused my rates to go up?

I know there are a lot of specific questions, and it's a weird situation, but if anyone has any information, I'd appreciate it. I'm really close with my mom, but we don't share the same opinions on cannabis use. That's a talk for another day. I know I'm a "grown ass man now, and shouldn't care," but I would just rather her not think less of me at this point in my life.

I'm in my 60's and I love pot. I quit 3 years ago because of COPD. You should try to get your mom to smoke with you(she might already be a pot smoker too)...it'll make you even closer.

Depending on how much you smoke, it could be in your system up to 90 days...cough...cough.:twitchy:

LOL

I can't believe what I just read.

Wow how this country has changed.

Sorry but for some reason this thread caught me as very funny.

"You should smoke pot with your mom...it will make you closer." :D

So J, What happened? Did you/your mom get the insurance?

Hey J, guess you can tell by now you brightened a lot of our days! We don't see a lot of good ones like yours everyday!
To answer the question: The exam will reveal THC in your system; you are not gonna beat it! Since your mother is paying, she will see the increased rate; if you man up and tell her about your use, she will probably inclined to buy the coverage anyway. Every state has its own laws concerning disclosure of info; your inquiry may yield more accurate answers. You gotta tell SOMEBODY anyway!

----------

Inquiry may yield more accurate answers if posed to an agent in your state.

As far as I am concerned, insurance companies are always giving people drug tests. Moreover, they are going to give you a fast drug and alcohol testing, which is very accurate and very difficult to fake the results. So, if you don't want to make your mom disappointed, be careful in the future and don't smoke cannabis. It's not good for your future anyway! Better to start doing something useful.

Last edited:
LOL

I can't believe what I just read.

Wow how this country has changed.

Sorry but for some reason this thread caught me as very funny.

"You should smoke pot with your mom...it will make you closer." :D
Old hippies in their 60s and 70s are the ones that started the pot craze....:yes:

Back