Help! Should I File a Claim?

tj31970

I need to know if I should file a claim. We have noticed that a section of our floors from our bedroom leading into the bathroom was kind of sagging for the past few months but we just thought it was a settling of the floors. Well last week it became even more pronounced and we noticed a mildew in the very top of our closet which is adjacent to this area. We pulled up the flooring in bedroom and a tile from the bathroom and the subfloor is totally rotten underneath!!! We figure it has to be either a slow pipe leak in the wall over a period of time or could be a slow leak in roof over time. Subfloor will have to be totally replaced and all new floors for bedroom and bathroom. Are either one of these scenarios covered under State Farm homeowner insurance even though it's obviously been leaking for a long time? I'm figuring this will be about a 5,000-10,000 repair bc I'm sure Sheetrock and maybe even studs will have to be replaced not to mention wood and tile floors. Should I try and file a claim?

A few things.....

Generally insurance covers the 'sudden and unexpected'. Damage from a slow leak does not usually fall under that category.

That said, I would still file the claim. Its going to depend a lot on what the actual cause is and how long it has been going on. Worse thing that happens is they deny the claim and (this is the gotcha) prior to the next renewal, require proof that it was fixed. Best thing that happens is they find a way to cover it.

If they deny the claim, it probably won't have any impact on your rate, other then it may cause a notice of non-renewal if you don't show them that it was fixed. If they pay the claim, it may have a rate impact, but given the costs of repairs, this is not relevant.

Dan

Thank you! So if it is a slow leak in the wall we could have known nothing about it would not be covered? And say it's the roof would insurance pay for the inside repairs at least?

Thank you! So if it is a slow leak in the wall we could have known nothing about it would not be covered? And say it's the roof would insurance pay for the inside repairs at least?

No and no.

This is why you file the claim. Its hard to know the answer without a lot more info.

Just realize the probable outcome will be a denial, but, its worth asking the question and not just assuming the outcome. You won't know the real answer until you understand the cause of the water in the first place.

Dan

Back