Need Advise for Medicare Related Question

dobi

Expert
I was approached by a client of mine to see if I could get insurance for her daughter. The daughter has an auto-immune disease and is on some pretty expensive medication. I tried several carriers, with the predicted outcome, offered a guarantee issue plan, which she declined, and am wondering if she would be eligible for a medicare advantage plan since she is on disability but the prescription portion of the disability won't kick in until June. She just lost her cobra coverage a week or so ago. thanks for any comments.

I was approached by a client of mine to see if I could get insurance for her daughter. The daughter has an auto-immune disease and is on some pretty expensive medication. I tried several carriers, with the predicted outcome, offered a guarantee issue plan, which she declined, and am wondering if she would be eligible for a medicare advantage plan since she is on disability but the prescription portion of the disability won't kick in until June. She just lost her cobra coverage a week or so ago. thanks for any comments.

She needs to receive Medicare Parts A&B before she may participate in a Medicare Advantage plan.
If her disability isn't kicking in until June, my best bet is that she will not qualify for Medicare until June of 2015.

ok, I need to find out if she has applied for A&B, more than likely not, but she has had the disability for awhile. she lost her job because of her inability to perform her duties. thanks for the input!

My first thought was that "prescription portion of her disability won't kick in until June" may refer to her Medicare eligibility date, as you also said she'd been on disability for awhile (two years in June?) and if she's been on COBRA, she'd have prescription coverage with it already.

If that's the case she will have Open Enrollment and can get an MAPD in June or whatever med supp her state offers to under 65 paired with a PDP.

Back