Need Dental for 12 Yr Old Kid in FL that Needs Braces

timamr

Guru
100+ Post Club
I was informed today that my son needs some dental work. He is 12. Basically, he needs braces. The Dentist said with all the work done, it would come out to $4,680. They said they would do $800 down with the remainder spread out over $162/month over a 24 month period.

Does this sound like a good option or is there insurance out there in FL that would be less expensive AND NOT have a waiting period?

I would be careful and not too hasty, check out THIS THREAD

If you are already paying $5,000 for braces, I would be hesitant to spend anything more.

Most dental insurance will have a 6 to 12 month waiting period before they cover things like orthodontics. I have 2 kids in braces and no insurance because I could not make it make sense to pay a premium in addition to what the braces would cost. If you had coverage already, it would probably help, but outside of that, I would probably take the deal, or see if you can get it done cheaper. $4700 is about what I paid for each pair.

As far as value goes, most of the time a discount card/program is going to cut the cost more than anything else. Getting insurance now is like getting insurance when your house is burning down; there is already a claim happening, you just want to give them a few bucks and have them pay out a great deal more than that. Insurance companies can't stay in business if they operate that way.

Back