Progressive Claim/can I Do Better?

mkonen

My truck was hit while parked on the street in Feb. I got an estimate for $547, and progressive only gave ma a check for $502. OK, not a big deal you say? I've been unemployed for a year, and I can use $45, Now, I am not planning on repairing the vehicle, (just a dented bumper) but I feel I am entitled to the full amount of my estimate. Can I threaten them with going to the state insurance commisioner, or do I just grease up and take it?

Take the $502 and move on. You'd be wasting hours or days or weeks to get the extra $45. And who knows if you even get it in the end.
Also, your state insurance commissioner would not listen to you, nor get involved, nor care.

Be happy. You're unemployed, somebody put a tiny dent in your bumper and now you have $500 you didn't have before.

I may have posted this in the wrong section. I'm not sure why I should take it and let it go. The places I shop for anything doesn't negotiate prices.

I'm not sure why I should take it and let it go.

You aren't repairing the dent on the bumper.
You'd be wasting hours or days or weeks to get the extra $45. And who knows if you even get it in the end.
Also, your state insurance commissioner would not listen to you, nor get involved, nor care.

Lucky you! You're unemployed, somebody put a tiny dent in your bumper and now you have $500 you didn't have before.

Apparently you are well off and that little bit of money doesn't matter to you, nor does the principle of it.

Apparently you are well off and that little bit of money doesn't matter to you, nor does the principle of it.

The principle of it??!?
You're getting a free $500 gift. You already said you will not fix the dent on your bumper. Instead of being thrilled and praising G-d for this amazing gift that fell into your lap, you're bitching that you feel you deserve more?!
Amazing...

Here is the way situations like this work:

If you take your vehicle to a shop and it's more than what they pay, the carrier is usually on the hook for it up to any reasonable amount (the carrier and the shop duke it out). Since you're not repairing it, you really shouldn't be entitled to anything (according to policies), but you get to keep a pile of cash now. If you push the issue, they're just going to tell you to take it to a shop and they'll pay the difference.

I had someone back into me at a light (weirdest accident I was ever in) and I got paid like $450, $80 of it was for the frame around the license plate. I can't even tell it happened so I just took the money, but I'm sure some shops would have charged more for the repairs and they would have paid more if I wanted it done, but that's just the way those claims work.

Short version: You get to keep money and not fix the vehicle the way it sits now, if you want more they're going to want proof it is actually fixed.

Consider the whole thing a blessing.

People like this...

Nevermind... Let's just hope for change we can believe in this November.

Back