Recruitment by State Farm.

uhcord98

Hello, I came here seeking honest feedback from the people who are the true experts in the business.

First, I will tell you a little about myself. I am a manager in a commission based job currently making $70-$75,000 a year. I have great benefits and descent pay. The ONLY thing that sucks about my job is the retail hours. We are open 10-8 Monday - Saturday and 12-6 on Sunday. So I get stuck working various shifts with crazy hours. My goal is to find a job making around the same amount or more but with a better work/life balance. My wife and I just had our first child a month ago and I want to be around for her school events, etc.

Anyways, just looking for feedback from people, positive or negative.

Hello, I came here seeking honest feedback from the people who are the true experts in the business.

First, I will tell you a little about myself. I am a manager in a commission based job currently making $70-$75,000 a year. I have great benefits and descent pay. The ONLY thing that sucks about my job is the retail hours. We are open 10-8 Monday - Saturday and 12-6 on Sunday. So I get stuck working various shifts with crazy hours. My goal is to find a job making around the same amount or more but with a better work/life balance. My wife and I just had our first child a month ago and I want to be around for her school events, etc.

Read all the threads on here about State Farm. If you're talking about your child's school events you have 4 or more years to plan. My advice is to go slow with your eyes wide open. Would I sign on with SF with their current contract? My answer is no! Would I have done it 15 years ago with the contract they had then? Gladly!!!

There are better alternatives out there, much better. What state do you live in?

Where do you live? Their peril based risk system for flood and hurricane prevents you from writing 50% of the h.o policies, they want you to write insurance...but not.

duhlawn & dubya4472: I live in Ohio.

Dubya4472: What other alternatives do you recommend and in your opinion why are they better?

duhlawn & dubya4472: I live in Ohio.

Dubya4472: What other alternatives do you recommend and in your opinion why are they better?

I have heard good things about American Family, Nationwide, and Liberty Mutual. There are more, those are just a few that come to mind that I believe have presence in Ohio.

After reading all of the complaints from agents and prospective agents I would not ever seek out a job with one of the big 3 (State Farm, Farmers, Allstate).

.....After reading all of the complaints from agents and prospective agents I would not ever seek out a job with one of the big 3 (State Farm, Farmers, Allstate).

Dubya4472, I totally agree with you!

Well it all depends on the offer. State Farm is a good company with good policy. If they will pay you while they train you and get you going it might not be a bad gig.

Some state farm managers offer you a book of business to have from the start that might be something to ask for. It would make it much easier than starting an agency from scratch.

Congrad on the Baby!

To be perfectly honest, I work for sf and my agent has had his office since the early 60's. We run a lot different than others in my state. He reiterates that State Farm and he are two separate entires with a fiduciary agreement.

But yeah, their old contracts, sign away, the new ones...eh be careful. Granted we are a very large company ranked 44th I think in the Fortune 500, there's a lot of different opportunities for raking in money. We have access to write several different lines that other companies don't carry. That's what I like. It's worth going to take a look at to be perfectly honest, see what they're offering you up there,but be wary, they do place rose colored glasses on you at first.

A couple things:

You want them to guarantee you a starting book. As big as you can get it. (the guys going scratch everywhere are going broke)

You want to be in a community or market niche that is experiencing rapid growth, or has barriers of entry by other insurers, such as language.

Don't open a SF agency in a mature and stabile community. There are too many other insurers gunning for that preferred market and it may already be over saturated by existing SF, Farmers, Allstate agents.

Do consider it if your market allows you to capitalize on speaking a certain language that the broader insurance market cannot speak.

Back