Transferring Long Term Disability with New Job

Tblazer

Tough situation: I have a new job offer that looks great on all aspects except it does not offer long term disability. Problem: while at my current job (which has such coverage), I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. I am 42, and will probably need long term coverage within 10 years (which means I can't get long term coverage on my own b/c I will not be approved because of the debilitating/progressive nature of the disease).

Can I find and get into a Long Term Disability insurance contract through some type of HIPPA law or something similar since the new job offer doesn't carry it, and I want to continue it? Is there any legal "carry over" or transfer law that would allow me to transfer to an individual policy (despite the fact that I would normally be denied) since I currently have long term coverage?

I know regular medical insurance wouldn't be an issue with the preexisting condition, but I didn't know about long term coverage.

Tough situation: I have a new job offer that looks great on all aspects except it does not offer long term disability. Problem: while at my current job (which has such coverage), I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. I am 42, and will probably need long term coverage within 10 years (which means I can't get long term coverage on my own b/c I will not be approved because of the debilitating/progressive nature of the disease).

Can I find and get into a Long Term Disability insurance contract through some type of HIPPA law or something similar since the new job offer doesn't carry it, and I want to continue it? Is there any legal "carry over" or transfer law that would allow me to transfer to an individual policy (despite the fact that I would normally be denied) since I currently have long term coverage?

I know regular medical insurance wouldn't be an issue with the preexisting condition, but I didn't know about long term coverage.

It should be possible to find a carrier that will issue a long term policy for you with a parkinson's exclusion. Meaning that they won't pay any benefits if your disability claim is based on complications from parkinsons. shoot me an inbox message if you want me to do some more research for you.

Its a tough situation your in. My fiance just had a scare of possible parkinsons but it turned out to be something different thankfully. (it scared the hell out of us though)

You need to look at the policy and see if it is "portable". Meaning that you can pay for it on an individual basis if you ever leave the company. Some policies are, some arent. Obviously if it is portable you need to do it. Because the parkinsons will be excluded from any future policies you might be able to obtain.

There are no hippa laws or cobra type laws for disability insurance.
So your only hope is that the policy is portable and you can take it with you when you leave.

Do not talk to HR about this, 95% of HR offices dont even know half of the features that their company benefits really provide. I cant tell you how many times an HR person has told an employee the wrong info for a situation like this...

Call customer service at the insurance company that the policy is with. They can tell you a definitive answer.

Good luck
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
It should be possible to find a carrier that will issue a long term policy for you with a parkinson's exclusion. Meaning that they won't pay any benefits if your disability claim is based on complications from parkinsons. shoot me an inbox message if you want me to do some more research for you.

And how the hell would that help the OP?

They probably have a 99% chance of needing this policy FOR PARKINSONS!

The chances of them needing it for something other than parkinsons is extremely slim. They would be better off saving their money than they would be taking out a new policy with a parkinsons exclusion.

Your suggestion is the exact opposite of what the OP wants and needs....

Last edited:
Its a tough situation your in. My fiance just had a scare of possible parkinsons but it turned out to be something different thankfully. (it scared the hell out of us though)

And how the hell would that help the OP?

They probably have a 99% chance of needing this policy FOR PARKINSONS!

The chances of them needing it for something other than parkinsons is extremely slim. They would be better off saving their money than they would be taking out a new policy with a parkinsons exclusion.

Your suggestion is the exact opposite of what the OP wants and needs....
You have a point...After re-reading the initial post and my response, agreed.

Back