Wellcare Feedback ?

Wmorris

Does anyone have experience working with Wellcare.
They offer MAPD and PDP plans in some states.
Wondering what their strengths are and how they are to work with.
Appreciate any feed back.

Thanks

Re: Wellcare

I have never heard anything good about Wellcare. They use foreign customer service reps. and do not pay agents.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Why Wellcare? I would stick with AARP, Blue Cross, Humana, CIP, Sterling, or any of the other plans out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Does anyone have experience working with Wellcare.
They offer MAPD and PDP plans in some states.
Wondering what their strengths are and how they are to work with.
Appreciate any feed back.

Thanks

Um, if you would like a difficult time with your commissions, and having about 5% of your enrollees inexplicably disenrolled or never enrolled, and not being informed when there is a technical problem with an application or payment on the application, then I say go for it.

You know that little CMS rule about having a state appointment with the carrier in order to get your renewals? Well, if your carrier dumps you, then you dont' get your commissions. And no, "for cause" doesn't have to be part of the equation. Go the the KY DOI website, look up Wellcare under the company lookup, pick Wellcare "Prescription" from the list, and then click on the "affiliations" icon. First, look at the handful of appointments that have been on there more six months -- almost all of them are individuals who are out-of-state owners of FMO's. Then, look at the inactive appointments, and you will see that virtually every resident agent in Kentucky got dumped on May 5, 2010 (and so did the renewal commissions). Unless you believe that a hundred Kentucky agents were all misbehaving on the same day (and thus dumped on the same day), then there can't be a "for cause" that got all those agents dumped. From what I can see, only two Kentucky resident agents did NOT get dumped on May 5. They are both in Louisville, and who knows, they may be owners of FMO's too. The above statmenets are merely my opinion, intended only for licensed insurance agents to read, and should never be relied upon when deciding on your choice of insurance products or on which brand of toilet paper to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:

WellCare is one of the reasons MIPPA was passed so easily. Business: FBI raid shutters Medicare insurer .
I thought they had closed doors too?

They've also had serious problems paying claims, which as an agent, would concern me. Why would you want to sell a plan with that type of a reputation?

WellCare is one of the reasons MIPPA was passed so easily.
I thought they had closed doors too?

They've also had serious problems paying claims, which as an agent, would concern me. Why would you want to sell a plan with that type of a reputation?

:twitchy: Did the WellCare DSM sleep with your wife or something? Problems paying claims? Don't think so...;)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Um, if you would like a difficult time with your commissions, and having about 5% of your enrollees inexplicably disenrolled or never enrolled, and not being informed when there is a technical problem with an application or payment on the application, then I say go for it.

You know that little CMS rule about having a state appointment with the carrier in order to get your renewals? Go the the KY DOI website, look up Wellcare under the agent lookup, pick Wellcare "Prescription" from the list, and then click on the "affiliations" icon. .

HMMMM...My appointment is active. Of course I CERTIFIED! Did you forget that one also has to go through a annual certification process to be appointed? Me thinks so!

Last edited:

:twitchy: Did the WellCare DSM sleep with your wife or something? Problems paying claims? Don't think so...;)

Aside from me having a WellCare member come to one of my presentations and share their legitimate claim issue (they denied an ER visit when a door fell on the back of his foot) and numerous articles written about them having trouble with the amount of debt they have, CMS had some less than kind things to say about them:

CMS Letter to Wellcare « Ritter Insurance Marketing

HMMMM...My appointment is active. Of course I CERTIFIED! Did you forget that one also has to go through a annual certification process to be appointed? Me thinks so!

So, are you a Kentucky resident agent? Or do you perhaps live somewhere else?

Of course I recertified (in 2009, for 2010), and I even helped a few previously enrolled members switch from Classic to Signature (or vice versa). I would have never helped those people switch plans if I knew that Wellcare would dump me a few months later, and never pay me anything at all in the way of commissions on the 2010 renewal block.

I'm a member of MDRT (2011), a CPA, and have contracts with most active Medicare marketing companies, so please avoid the innuendo that I don't know the rules about the requirement to recertify in order to get renewals. I knew of the rules, played by the rules, and still got dumped by Wellcare. And got dumped w/o even a notice for that matter. (The agent contracts require written notice when being terminated, but then, history has shown that Wellcare sometimes has an larcenic manner of handling its written contracts; in hindsight, I shouldn't have expected a written notice.) I was even receiving ongoing "update" e-mails from Wellcare corporate regarding their legal problems and future sales opportunities (i.e., 2011 plan year), so I had no reason to suspect that even a technical problem existed with my contracting or my recertification. And FYI, I experienced some serious medical problems in the Spring/Summer that put me out of work for about 5 months, and when I returned, it was then that I realized that of all the renewal commissions that had piled up over that time, there were none from Wellcare. Absent the medical problems, I might have noticed the missing Wellcare commissions a bit sooner (many carriers took until the April commission run to start paying out renewals, and by that time the April commisions started coming in, I had had surgery and spent a few days in intensive care).

I did all the certification that Wellcare asked me to do. Wellcare's inane training even included a module about the dress code in the home office (obviously an essential component to "training" agents for the sole purpose of getting renewals for MA/PDP).

Oh yes, there is one other major difference between me and Wellcare -- I've never defrauded anyone, nor have I ever settled with CMS for $80 million to avoid criminal prosecution, nor have I ever paid a $10 million fine to the Securities and Exhange commission to settle "errors" in my earnings report al a Enron, nor have any of my employees (or my CEO or attorneys) ever been charged with criminal fraud, nor have I ever hired incompetent off-shore telephone jockeys to handle my customer's needs, nor have I ever . . . . I think you get the point.

One more thing -- these comments are merely the opinion of the poster. You should type the words "Wellcare," "criminal," and "fraud" into your search engine if you would like to find more complete information about Wellcare's alleged violations of law. Finally, nobody should use these opinions to select a Medicare plan or brand of toiler paper.

I remember when Wellcare did that here in KY. It was like a gift from the Medicare gods for those of us who weren't signed on with them when that happened. Seniors were dumping them like they dumped the agents. Wrote lots of them. I'd like to have that opportunity again.

They are hated by many, including the CMS...

SoKYBrian

I remember when Wellcare did that here in KY. It was like a gift from the Medicare gods for those of us who weren't signed on with them when that happened. Seniors were dumping them like they dumped the agents. Wrote lots of them. I'd like to have that opportunity again.

They are hated by many, including the CMS...

SoKYBrian

I heard negative comments about them as well. They have poor network management and failed to pay their brokers. I received a call recently to ask if I wanted to contract with them. I politely told them "no thank you."

Last edited:
Back