16 Year Old Soon to Be Driver

SamIam

Guru
1000 Post Club
My son is turning 16 this year. He will have his own car I'm in IL how much more does it usually increase? He does not have a B average the car will not have full coverage because it's to old. Are their carriers that will put him down as an occasional driver since he won't be driving to school? What carriers do you recommend?

You should contact your insurance company (or current agent) first and then a local independent agent for additional quotes. Ask for detailed coverage and limit explanation regarding state requirements vs agent recommendations.

Different carriers work differently with young drivers.
Some (heck, many) will rate him on the most expensive car in the household, regardless of what car he drives, unless you specifically exclude coverage on that car.

There is no such thing as an occasional driver. He might not be listed as a primary driver for a car, but if you have as many cars as drivers, he will be primary on at least 1. From there, it is based on annual mileage of the car. The concept of an 'occasional' driver only comes into play when you have 2 cars and 3 (or more) rated drivers, so some are not primary drivers of cars. In these cases, carriers will list the most expensive to insure driver as the primary, most of the time.

From an insurance perspective, it makes no sense to allow for an occasional accident... those come from occasional drivers :)

If you have a carrier that will allow him to be rated as a primary driver on a liability only car, the rates usually aren't to bad. The hit always comes from when all the sudden the new driver is insured on dad's BMW. Just make sure he gets rated on the right car. This might mean switching carriers.

Dan

My son is turning 16 this year. He will have his own car I'm in IL how much more does it usually increase? He does not have a B average the car will not have full coverage because it's to old. Are their carriers that will put him down as an occasional driver since he won't be driving to school? What carriers do you recommend?

Am Fam will rate him as an occasional inexperienced driver as long as there are more drivers than there are cars.

Since he'll have his own car, most companies will make the charge as soon as he is fully licensed.

Should you fail to report him fully licensed, you could be up a creek without a paddle.

Call your agent.

Back