30 Year Old, CA, Looking for Cheap Liability Insurance.

Denroj

I'm 30, no accidents or anything else on driving record, living in Palmdale, CA with a 1998 Buick Regal GS (supercharged). I've been quoted around $47 for basic liability at Geico and a couple of other places. I got my license at 18 years of age, but I've been driving on and off, so for about half that time I had a car and rarely had insurance. My credit isn't stellar, but I've read CA has banned the inclusion of credit scores/history to determine rates.

zip code is 93552

I'm a male.

So I thought the $47 a month was a bit high because I've heard of people getting $15-20 insurance. is there anyone that can chime in?

Edit: I'm probably going to put around 5-10k miles a year on it.

----------

Can someone at least point me to a good car insurance agent on this forum that transacts insurance in CA and has appointments with some of the cheaper/cheapest carriers?

Last edited:
I'm 30, no accidents or anything else on driving record, living in Palmdale, CA with a 1998 Buick Regal GS (supercharged). I've been quoted around $47 for basic liability at Geico and a couple of other places. I got my license at 18 years of age, but I've been driving on and off, so for about half that time I had a car and rarely had insurance. My credit isn't stellar, but I've read CA has banned the inclusion of credit scores/history to determine rates.

zip code is 93552

I'm a male.

So I thought the $47 a month was a bit high because I've heard of people getting $15-20 insurance. is there anyone that can chime in?

Edit: I'm probably going to put around 5-10k miles a year on it.

----------

Can someone at least point me to a good car insurance agent on this forum that transacts insurance in CA and has appointments with some of the cheaper/cheapest carriers?

Credit Score verification was gone a long time ago. You get what you pay for be careful.

The same profile you just told me would probably run you 2-3 times that here in Florida. Crazy to see the differences between states.

Important question here: When you say you've heard of people getting it for 15-20, who were the people? Auto insurance is highly individualized so you can't compare yourself even to your neighbor who drives the exact same car.

Other factors come into play that you might not think of, like how long you've been with your current insurance company and what current liability limits you have. If you've always defaulted on just getting the cheapest possible insurance and switched companies every year, then you won't have that positive rating factor working in your favor as you get quoted. If you don't have insurance at all right now, coming into the quoting stage with no coverage (even if it's just because you haven't had a vehicle) will usually negatively impact your rating.

The best thing you can do is basically what you did: Using only you as the thing to judge against, quote around to multiple carriers. Sounds like they were all in the same ballpark so you know what your rates will generally be. Wouldn't expect to find them much less anywhere

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Got a pretty good quote from Wawanesa insurance, so credit to Rick for that.

Last edited:
Back