AAA - Rental Car Coverage

goforgold99

Hi,

I am confused whether AAA

a) covers my rental car only if my insured car is not operational/in the shop
or
b) always covers my rental car

From the AAA insurance pamphlet I understand it is a), but when I called them the guy said b)

Does anyone have more information on this. I would like to know this for sure.

Thanks!

Are you talking about the roadside service part of AAA? Or insurance itself?

The roadside service covers you, whatever car you are driving.

The insurance covers your car and is usually secondary on other non-owned cars you may drive (including rentals). If you have comp/collision, this will usually extend to your rental agreement (check with your agent to be sure), but is still subject to your deductible AND you may have to pay the daily rental fee on the car while it gets fixed.

Dan

Are you talking about the roadside service part of AAA? Or insurance itself?

The roadside service covers you, whatever car you are driving.

The insurance covers your car and is usually secondary on other non-owned cars you may drive (including rentals). If you have comp/collision, this will usually extend to your rental agreement (check with your agent to be sure), but is still subject to your deductible AND you may have to pay the daily rental fee on the car while it gets fixed.

Dan

Hi Dan,

yeah, I was talking about the insurance.
I do have comp & collision. So comp/collision and also liability as well is in effect when I have my rental, even if my own car is still working and I rent for a road trip for example?

Check out this CA AAA jacket: ht tp://w ww.filedropper.com/caautopolicyjacket
on page 2, (5)(e) it says for the definition of "insured car":
"any car or utility trailer not owned by you
or a resident of the same household in
which you live being temporarily used as a
substitute for any other vehicle described in
this definition, because of its withdrawal
-3-
from normal use due to breakdown, repair,
servicing, loss or destruction
, provided such
use is with the permission of the owner;
When used in this definition, the words
“own”, “owned”, and “ownership” include
any vehicle leased to you' under a contract
for six months or longer."

That is different language then most policies use. I suggest you check with your agent and have them send you something in an email.

----------

I went and actually read the policy jacket (fun times on a Friday night)....
If you read the liability section, they use a different definition and do not limit it to 'insured car' that you posted.

If you read the physical loss section, they also extend coverage to non-owned cars, using what appears to be a different definition of 'insured car'.

I would still ask your agent, have him send you an email to confirm, but I think if you read the liability section and the physical damage section, it seems clear enough it would be covered. Always read all the exclusions, that is where claims get denied, but I didn't see anything that would cause the claim to get denied in this case.

Dan

That is different language then most policies use. I suggest you check with your agent and have them send you something in an email.

----------

I went and actually read the policy jacket (fun times on a Friday night)....
If you read the liability section, they use a different definition and do not limit it to 'insured car' that you posted.

Hey Dan,

thanks for your reply!

so for the liability on page -6- it says under "Exclusions":

"(6) bodily injury or property damage arising out
of the ownership, maintenance or use of any vehicle
other than your insured car by any person
employed or otherwise engaged in a business
other than the automobile business;"

Correct. If the accident happens while using the car for business (i.e., pizza delivery) and its not rated for business use, there is no liability coverage.

This would also imply (though I've never had a claim denied for it) is if you rent a car on a business trip, your liability coverage would not extend to the rental car. This somewhat makes sense, since the vehicle isn't a replacement for your personal vehicle, but rather a replacement for a company vehicle.

Dan

Back