In an Accident on Saturday (10/31) and my Insurance Has Lapsed - what to Do ?

nick_kcmo

I bumped into a car by mistake as I was pulling out of a garage and the other driver was a little fast - I hit his door and got a dent on it - He called the cops and we waited as I couldn't find my insurance copy - I spoke to him about paying for the damages as I didn't want to get my premium increased - gave him $200 and he took my phone number and copy of DL - this all happened on Saturday night - The cops did not show up and we did leave as we agreed upon me paying.
I checked after going home that I no longer have insurance - I did not tell the other person this - On Monday we went to the dealership and got and got an estimate for $1550 and I told him I will pay for that and car rental till the car got fixed and we went home so he can think about it - he called me and said he was okay with that - I promised to pay the amount at the dealership up front while giving the car to get fixed and later that night he was asking to pay the depreciation value as his door had to be replaced - this was a 2002 Toyota Camry with 150k miles on it - I refused and asked him to contact his Insurance agent and to give them my details - what kind of mess am I in ?

I did purchase a new insurance policy on 11/02

----------

I followed up with him to get my $200 back and he is saying he will give it back and will let me know - he said he wants to make sure I provide accurate information when his insurance agent calls me - before he gave the money - all this is in text messages

Let his insurance company pay for it. Unlikely they will pay to replace the door, unless he had more damage then you described.

They may send you the bill in the end, but it will be at insurance company rates, which can be lower than what you would normally pay for the same repair.

Cops rarely show up for minor fender benders anymore. They would spend their entire day documenting things that don't really matter.

If you pay the bill the insurance company sends you, nothing much will come of it.

Dan

Thank you sir.... His insurance agent called me today and I was at work and didn't answer - I am planning on calling him back later in the afternoon - what should I tell him ? Just say that my insurance expired and I will pay the settlement amount ?

And he wanted to claim for hail as well as the dealer was suggesting that if he had both my damage and hail together would mean that they would total his car and give him compensation or something like that

Let his insurance company pay for it. Unlikely they will pay to replace the door, unless he had more damage then you described.

They may send you the bill in the end, but it will be at insurance company rates, which can be lower than what you would normally pay for the same repair.

Cops rarely show up for minor fender benders anymore. They would spend their entire day documenting things that don't really matter.

If you pay the bill the insurance company sends you, nothing much will come of it.

Dan

Do not talk to his agent, talk to his insurance company when they call.
You are not responsible for the hail and I assume that was first. If that is the case, then you are only responsible to put the damage back to the way it was prior you damaging it, which is probably a lesser amount due to the pre-existing damage.

Definitely don't offer to pay. Let them send a bill.

Dan

Back