Advice Needed

He doesn't have to bankrupt the guy. I'm sure the attorney could figure out a way to attach all future earnings or something. If the driver has any sense at all, he'd put the wife and kids to work before he went bankrupt.

This year, mid-June, I was hit by an automobile driven by kid covered under his Mother's policy. ( State Farm and they have already accepted insurance liability

Or maybe he can just start looking for another paper route and get mom and dad to get off their arses and help him out a little more !

Hello Group,
I can tell you anything you'd like to know about bicycle touring and I'd appreciate your help and suggestions with dealing with an insurance claim.

This year, mid-June, I was hit by an automobile driven by kid covered under his Mother's policy. ( State Farm and they have already accepted insurance liability )

12 weeks later and it is time to deal with the mountain of papers, etc. My insurance has covered the bills (Blue Cross through PAI) up to this point. Roughly 20,000 to date.

Bkoken left foot (toes) set back in place first day. Damage to knee (total of 10 weeks of therapy to date) 1st, 3rd ,and fifth transfer fractures of the back (Still hurt like dickens)

Lots of soft tissue damage everywhere.

Half the people I have spoken to say deal directly with State Farm - Half say get an attorney. No offense, but the attorneys, although very professional, did not seem to have my best interest at heart.

I just want the medical bills paid and a fair, reasonable settlement.

Please advise on my options and any suggestions you have greatly appreciated.

Airwick, carpet

I'm not a fan of lawyers but in this case you need one. You have damages beyond a dented fender or a broken tail light. You have physical impairments that may be with you the rest of your life.

Without legal and in fact medical and financial expertise how do you have any idea what a "reasonable and fair" settlement is? Your attorney will be able to bring in experts that will help determine how this injury will affect your life far into the future. Maybe you'll have to work answering phones for Verizon because you can't move so your job instaling industrial plumbing projects is now over...

There are too many unknowns.

Worry about recovery let the experts worry about everything else.

As a sidebar for this forum: Anyone that decides to drive could be in the other guys shoes. Are your own liability limits adequate? Would your insurance company offer a reasonable settlement to a seriously injured 3rd party or would you have to get a second mortgage, tap into the college fund, tap into your retirement fund to bring the injured party back to the way he was before the accident? Time for a review....

Last edited:
Back