Advice Needed

carpetairwick

Hello Group,
I can tell you anything you'd like to know about bicycle touring and I'd appreciate your help and suggestions with dealing with an insurance claim.

This year, mid-June, I was hit by an automobile driven by kid covered under his Mother's policy. ( State Farm and they have already accepted insurance liability )

12 weeks later and it is time to deal with the mountain of papers, etc. My insurance has covered the bills (Blue Cross through PAI) up to this point. Roughly 20,000 to date.

Bkoken left foot (toes) set back in place first day. Damage to knee (total of 10 weeks of therapy to date) 1st, 3rd ,and fifth transfer fractures of the back (Still hurt like dickens)

Lots of soft tissue damage everywhere.

Half the people I have spoken to say deal directly with State Farm - Half say get an attorney. No offense, but the attorneys, although very professional, did not seem to have my best interest at heart.

I just want the medical bills paid and a fair, reasonable settlement.

Please advise on my options and any suggestions you have greatly appreciated.

Airwick, carpet

Hello,
I'm an insurance agent and had similar case to yours last year!
In such cases it's better for you to deal with the insurance company directly!State Farm is a reputable company and if they have accepted the liability,you don't have to worry about them paying the bill.
The only disturbing thing is that you must find out their Liability limits,because if it's for example 50K per person,they'll pay you up to the limit and the rest of the bill you'll have to pay out of your pocket!!!

ABS Insurance & Financial Srvc.,Inc

2 guesses on who NOT to listen to, and the first guess doesn't count.

Hello,
I'm an insurance agent and had similar case to yours last year!
In such cases it's better for you to deal with the insurance company directly!State Farm is a reputable company and if they have accepted the liability,you don't have to worry about them paying the bill.
The only disturbing thing is that you must find out their Liability limits,because if it's for example 50K per person,they'll pay you up to the limit and the rest of the bill you'll have to pay out of your pocket!!!

ABS Insurance & Financial Srvc.,Inc

I agree w/ M&M.

No question! If someone has not got your best interest at heart , maybe they will after you have their best interest at heart. MONEY.

I guess there are clients who accept
the ambulance chasers and clients who don't.

Go pick the best ambulance chaser that will accept your case... and then go after what you want.

Increase (& negotiate down IF necessary) the definition of your "best interest", present it to ambulance chaser , get accepted agreement in writing , signed in blood and let the ambulance chaser, Company, offending teen and family hammer out the details.

Maybe you can concentrate on getting well and getting back to work.

Slim

2 guesses on who NOT to listen to, and the first guess doesn't count.

If he doesn't want to deal with an attorney,that's how it's going to be.If the company has accepted the liability,they HAVE to pay the medical expenses up to the policy limits.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know this!!!

ABS Insurance & Financial Srvc,Inc.

Better check policy limit on BI before you gather up the Philadelphia gang of lawyers. 20+ years of watching settlements get paid and I'd say most averaged 4-5X medical bills for pain and suffering on most claims with no serious long term injuries. That was in addition to their out of pocket expenses being paid. That was also negotiating with the insurance company on their own. Lawyers seem to shoot for 10X and likely settle for 7-8X in my experience when there is no gross negligence. Bottom line is the lawyers seem to drag it out almost double the time and you end up with same $$ for your troubles.

Better check policy limit on BI before you gather up the Philadelphia gang of lawyers. 20+ years of watching settlements get paid and I'd say most averaged 4-5X medical bills for pain and suffering on most claims with no serious long term injuries. That was in addition to their out of pocket expenses being paid. That was also negotiating with the insurance company on their own. Lawyers seem to shoot for 10X and likely settle for 7-8X in my experience when there is no gross negligence. Bottom line is the lawyers seem to drag it out almost double the time and you end up with same $$ for your troubles.

I think this is pretty accurate. I would see what I could do on my own (if you are a pretty decent negotiator). If you don't like what you come up with then you can always bring a lawyer in.

If he doesn't want to deal with an attorney,that's how it's going to be.If the company has accepted the liability,they HAVE to pay the medical expenses up to the policy limits.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know this!!!

ABS Insurance & Financial Srvc,Inc.

What if the guy has an umbrella policy written by another company, or he has additional assets? What about loss of wages/income? If you settle for just negotiating with the auto insurance company, you would only get what they would pay out, and they're not going to volunteer to pay the max.

Yeah, maybe you should try to put his family into bankruptcy. I'd worry about maxing out the guys BI limit first, then you can consult with the forum experts on pillaging the rest of his belongings.

Back