AllState's Actual Cash Value of my Car After Total Loss

mlfatty

I got into a car accident. The other driver is at fault and he has AllState. AllState accepted full liability and after being checked by an autobody shop, the car was a total loss. AllState is offering my an ACV lower than what I see my car being sold for in my area. Several dealerships are selling cars similar to mine for around $7500(average of 5 cars) but allstate offers me $6000. AllState is saying that is because the cars we looked at are dealership cars, not private sellers. We cannot find enough private sellers in my area to find a good value for my car. Is it fair to say since dealership price is $7500, then private price will be $6000? I don't think that's fair.

Dealers would love to get sticker price in cars, but usually they do less. Odds are a dealer asking $7500 would take $7,000 and if your car had a few less features/difference in condition it sounds about right.

You could ask for more and argue your point.

Settlement offers tend to be done more on actual sales rather then just a random dealership price. If they can find a few values of similar cars based on what they really sold for, that is really what the car is worth. Yes, there are always the random high and low ones, but they should be averaging, not using the limits.

Then they also look at your car. What shape are the tires in? Is the interior in decent shape? They will also look at your car to decide what type of condition it was in prior to the accident. Lots of parking lot dings? Paint faded? Scratches? Then the mileage, maintenance history, etc.

In a lot of cases, those cars for sale at a dealer lot just underwent some minor repairs such as brakes, tires, oil change, perhaps a full tuneup, etc. This adds some value to the price.

Overall, you might get a few more dollars, but you need to make your case. The companies that do the valuations are usually pretty good at what they do.

Now, on top of the value of the car, they should have also added taxes, title, registration, etc.

Dan

The biggest problem is that Allstate is the worst excuse for a casualty insurance company. Absolutely refuse to settle for anything reasonable. Dishonest to the core.

And generally on the expensive side.

Other than that I recommend them highly.

Rick

I got into a car accident. The other driver is at fault and he has AllState. AllState accepted full liability and after being checked by an autobody shop, the car was a total loss. AllState is offering my an ACV lower than what I see my car being sold for in my area. Several dealerships are selling cars similar to mine for around $7500(average of 5 cars) but allstate offers me $6000. AllState is saying that is because the cars we looked at are dealership cars, not private sellers. We cannot find enough private sellers in my area to find a good value for my car. Is it fair to say since dealership price is $7500, then private price will be $6000? I don't think that's fair.

Contact a public insurance adjuster in your area and have them do an appraisal or put some numbers together for you.

When receiving ACV for a totaled vehicle, you are never going to receive the amount you think you car is worth.

Back