Any Luck with Advertising on the Radio?

Heather

Guru
100+ Post Club
NY
I am an IA. I am considering running some radio ads, I am just wondering has anyone had success with this form of advertising? I tried this two years ago for a bargain price at a newer radio station. Received not one call though lots of my existing customers mentioned they had heard the ad. The ad said something about letting us shop you through our 12 insurance companies and that we saved the station manager over 1k a year on his home and auto which we really did. I was kind of surprised at the zero response. I was not expecting a lot, more to get my name out there.

I am an IA. I am considering running some radio ads, I am just wondering has anyone had success with this form of advertising? I tried this two years ago for a bargain price at a newer radio station. Received not one call though lots of my existing customers mentioned they had heard the ad. The ad said something about letting us shop you through our 12 insurance companies and that we saved the station manager over 1k a year on his home and auto which we really did. I was kind of surprised at the zero response. I was not expecting a lot, more to get my name out there.

http://www.insurance-forums.net/forum/direct-mail-marketing-forum/radio-ads-t66073.html

I tried this two years ago for a bargain price at a newer radio station. Received not one call though lots of my existing customers mentioned they had heard the ad. The ad said something about letting us shop you through our 12 insurance companies...
Not a very compelling offer. You'll have more success by sending someone to a website for some free info...maybe a free report. Most people would rather get toenail fungus than call an insurance agency.
I was not expecting a lot, more to get my name out there.
For a small insurance agency, ALL advertising and marketing should be direct response, i.e. the prospect has to DO something. Unless you've got a marketing budget the size of CocaCola, McDonalds, State Farm et al, spending dollars to "get your name out there" is, as you found out, a waste of money.

Thanks for the Link and the advice.

I have a radio guy coming out to see me, the station also wants to do something with my web site as far as driving traffic and SEO work as a part of the radio package. Once a month maybe some one finds us on the web.

the station also wants to do something with my web site as far as driving traffic and SEO work as a part of the radio package.

why would a radio station be offering SEO work? makes no sense to me. that would be like going to McDonald's and seeing oil change prices on the menu.

I considered radio ads once. but because of the feedback I got from other agents, I passed on it.

you mentioned being independent .... are you a member of the Big I? if you want to give radio ads a shot, you might drastically cut advertising costs through them. here locally, I sometimes hear Big I ads in which several of the local Big I agencies are named in the same ad. I'm not sure how costs are split, but that may be a way of testing the waters with your feet instead of diving in with a big investment.

After what I read no radio for me today. Had to kick the ad rep out of my office. The $10 ads quoted on Thursday now became $22 per spot on Friday, he said I should have bought yesterday. Then he kept wanting me to advertise on controversial political shows after I told him no over and over.

After what I read no radio for me today. Had to kick the ad rep out of my office. The $10 ads quoted on Thursday now became $22 per spot on Friday, he said I should have bought yesterday. Then he kept wanting me to advertise on controversial political shows after I told him no over and over.
Hahahahahhaha!

People who stand to gain financially usually can't be counted on for the most objective advice?

Back