Any Thoughts on Unitrin?

PotentialFarmer

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Unitrin/Travelers Production requirements etc. . .

I've been using Superior Access and Unitrin specialty is one of their SoCal Insurers and to be honest I'm writing a lot of business through them. I'm in a college town and I'm a young guy, know some heavy drinkers, thus know some heavy DUI people, Unitrin hasn't been beaten yet. Also they seem great for those "folks" who are foreign and don't have state issued licenses (i.e. foreign licensed drivers). I'm doing a big push on the Brazilian community here in my town (over 3000 of them last count) because my wife is Brazilian and I have a pretty good in. I'm trying to get the folks to do more than the state minimum but money is tight for this demographic. But I digress. What I'm really interested is does anyone know what kind of premium volume or quote volume I'll be needing to do before I can get a direct contract with carriers like Unitrin Specialty and Travelers? Those are the two I'm using most often. Also is there another that I may want to look into as my third? Currently Safeco and Hartford seem uncompetitive in the area. Please no more offers for Fiesta Insurance Please . . . I've seen your ad enough its not going to fit my business model.

To recap since I asked a lot and seem to have rambled alot also . . .

1. Ballpark Premium requirements for Unitrin Specialty / Travelers
2. Ideas for a 3rd to get appointed with in Southern California.
3. After the initial requirements to get appointed how much business will they be expecting?

Last edited:
Re: Unitrin/Travelers Production requirements etc. . .

To recap since I asked a lot and seem to have rambled alot also . . .

1. Ballpark Premium requirements for Unitrin Specialty / Travelers
2. Ideas for a 3rd to get appointed with in Southern California.
3. After the initial requirements to get appointed how much business will they be expecting?

Just a thought, but how is Progressive in your area? I'm in the same boat as you. I am with Superior Access, and I do a lot through Unitrin. I went ahead and completed the application process for Progressive on their website not expecting to get appointed being a new agent. To my surprise I got appointed and they require just a couple of policies a month (at least in my area). Cannot speak for direct appointments with Unitrin and Travelers, as we are in the same boat there. Hope this helps.

Re: Unitrin/Travelers Production requirements etc. . .

Just a thought, but how is Progressive in your area? I'm in the same boat as you. I am with Superior Access, and I do a lot through Unitrin. I went ahead and completed the application process for Progressive on their website not expecting to get appointed being a new agent. To my surprise I got appointed and they require just a couple of policies a month (at least in my area). Cannot speak for direct appointments with Unitrin and Travelers, as we are in the same boat there. Hope this helps.

We are in the same boat. I contacted Progressive immediately also and the guy told me he didn't think it'd be worthwhile to get appointed because all the agents in area are down 50% and he's been hearing a ton of complaints on their rates not being competitive in area (Santa Barbara, CA). He said to check back with him in a few months after I get up over 30 quotes per month, which I already am at, however if his existing agents are off by 50% I'm not too confident in their ability to be competitive so not sure its worthwhile. Everyone save one policy I've written through either Travelers or Unitrin. The other one is through Commerce West, my first policy haha. They require 50% down and crappy payment arrangements so I try to not use them, however my first client is also my first claim!!! Luckily I was able to talk her into increasing her coverage and adding UM/UIM to the policy and she just got HIT AND RUN on Sunday. She's covered and extremely happy that I got her to spend the extra 30 bucks per 6 months...So far claims service is going well, contacted monday, they spoke with client immediately and are sending the adjuster to view her car today between 2 - 4 pm PST. Now as long as everything else goes well Commerce West may see some more business. Good turnaround so far, will keep you posted.

Back