Is Apologizing After an Accident Admitting Fault?

deefur

I filed a claim against someone who clearly was at fault by taking a wide left turn in his Ford truck and hitting the side of my car that was in the left turn lane to his right. It was on a street in San Francisco that turns into 3 lane turns onto a one way street. I was in the middle lane and he was on my left. After about 5 - 10 minutes of driving behind him, he finally pulls over and apologizes. He says he's out here visiting a friend and is not familiar with the area (He had a Michigan license plate.) We have a calm, causal conversion about where we were going and where we were coming from.

When we looked at the damage on my car, it only looked like a few minor scratches since it was fairly dark. His car was fine. Considering how hard he hit me, I was skeptical that there would only be scratches so I ask for his insurance card just in case. He lets me take a picture on my phone. I tell him that if it's most likely just scratches, I'll just take care of it myself. However, turns out there was a dent on the body above the front tire that wasn't visible at the time. I noticed it later when we were in better light.

His insurance, State Farm, tells me that he doesn't know who was at fault, basically denying it now. Because I have no independent witnesses (my girlfriend was with me but that doesn't count), I will most likely not get the claim. Apparently because he is a State Farm customer, they are obligated to defend him regardless of what I said actually happened.

I tell the lady at State Farm that he basically admitted fault to me at the time of the accident which is why he said sorry. The whole conversion that we had was based on the understanding that he was at fault from what he said and the way he acted. Why else would I have his car insurance information? He didn't ask for a single piece of information from me, not even a name.

There is a chance that he is denying it now even though he knows he was at fault because he initially saw that there was only scratches in the dark. So now that he gets a call from his insurance saying that there was more damage, he denies it since that's not what he remembered seeing. However if this was the case, shouldn't he have taken pictures of my car?

As for the witness thing, I was completely unaware that you needed one since this is my first accident in 12 years of driving. There were plenty of cars around that saw what happened. I even heard people react when it happened. But when I think about it, they can't use not having a witness against me because he didn't pull over right away. He drove at least 8 - 10 blocks away from where the accident happened. I thought he didn't even know it happened which was why I had to chase after him and high beam him. It is unrealistic to expect there to be a witness if he drove that far away. Chances are, no one is going to follow that far for just a minor accident. Additionally, there was no safe way for me to get a witness while I'm following him at the same time.

It could be argued that he was just looking for a safe place to pull over. The only street that had the most cars at the time was the street that he hit me on. All the turns and streets he went on had plenty of spots he could have just pulled over at.

The damage is relatively minor but I actually just got the car from my mom no more than a couple weeks when this happened. Although it'd be great to get money to fix the damage that I didn't do, I'm more concerned with making sure this person owns up to his responsibilities. It pisses me off that this guy knew he was at fault but now weasel his way from any responsibility just because his insurance will disregard my story and believe anything that he says. If any one can offer and help or advice, that would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Have you gotten an estimate for the repair costs for your vehicle? Pursuing the matter may be more time and energy than the repair costs.

You can send him a letter giving him another opportunity to pay your repair costs, before you take the matter to small claims court and file criminal charges for attempting to flee. Ask him if he is prepared to explain to a judge why you have a cell phone photo of his insurance card.

Several things....
Admitting fault at the accident is not really meaningful. This happens incorrectly all the time.

Witnesses are nice, but not required.

You were actually required to give him your insurance info, but that really isn't a big deal. Exchanging info is supposed to happen after an accident, regardless of fault, unless the police show up, then they take care of it.

State Farm seems to be in a mode of denying all third party claims. Ignore the first denial and keep pushing. Alternatively, file with your carrier, they will subrogate back to state farm and get your deductible back.

Yes, it's likely the guy changed his story, happens a lot, not much you can do about it, except for file through your carrier and go forward. Odds are, they will find you not at fault, so it won't be a rated accident.

Dan

Thanks for the responses, I'm new to all this insurance stuff so just a few more questions...

I haven't gotten an estimate yet. I was told to wait on State Farm first by my own insurer assuming that they were going to cover it. However since they are being difficult, I should probably get an estimate. The damage is minor but I just don't feel I should have to pay if I wasn't at fault. The body is dented in maybe a little bigger than size of a banana, which I can't imagine being more than a few hundred.

Could him driving that far away from the accident be somehow used against him? I originally thought so considering how big of an emphasis the State Farm woman was making on needing an independent witness. But if a witness is not required, then there's no real point in bringing that up when explaining what happened?

The woman at State Farm made it seem like having an independent witness and admitting fault at the time of the accident was a make it or break it type of deal. Is that some State Farm policy or is that how most insurers evaluate claims? So then, how is it determined who is at fault based on just two sides without any witnesses? It would seem that being the one making the claim, I'm at an unfair disadvantage since the other person's insurance company is going to want to deny me not based on my story but the fact that they'll stand by what ever their customer says. My girlfriend saw everything I saw but apparently is considered a biased witness. On the other hand, State Farm will just blindly believe whatever this guy says because he's a paying customer.. not biased at at all. Shouldn't the claim some how be decided by another party or a mediator of some sort?

Since it's been over a week, is too late to file a police report? So from now on, regardless of how big or small the accident, should I call the police?

After I last spoke to the woman at State Farm, she said she will call the guy back and ask him a few more questions. I also emailed photos of the damage as well as the photo of the guy's insurance card. What should I do if she calls me back again and tells me they are going to deny my claim? Should I ask to speak to another rep? Should I tell my insurer that State Farm is denying my claim to see if they can push for something?

You are putting to much thought into this. A lot of accidents are he said/she said type of deals. When this happens, yes, it helps to have a witness, but that isn't the only thing used.

Most of the time, if there is a doubt, they will look at both cars. It's amazing what can be determined by looking at the damage. This isn't always conclusive though.

I would recommend calling your agent. He/she can walk you through this process pretty easily. It's a normal conversation with almost every agent out there.

The other option you have is to file the claim with your insurance company. They will chase State Farm for you. You don't need to bother with all of that side of it.

Dan

total agreement with Dan. Call the non-emergency number of your police department and ask them if it's too late to file a report. I'll bet it isn't and it is good to have an accounting of the accident on file, in case you have to go to court.

As far as a couple hundred bucks for a dent? It's been a long time for that kind of cost.

Last year I put a quarter size crack in the paint of a bumper I slightly touched backing out of a tight parking space. You could cover the spot with a quarter and couldn't see it... $895 to repair on a 15 year old car. You'd be surprised, I was.

Painting is FAR more expensive than most people think. Its pretty amazing really!

Just as an update, police will rarely respond to a minor traffic accident. You simply file the report online with the local police department yourself in most areas of California. Not that hard.

Dan

Admitting may means the person is really recognizing his/her fault but it must not be the basis of how the legal actions should rely.

Even when admission it present, the investigation will still continue to ensure the credibility of the people involve and to know what exactly happened in the accident.

Latest posts

Back