Auto Accident. No Other Vehicles Involved. Should I Still (am I Obligated) to Let Insurance Know?

plshelpme

I borrowed a friends car who had liability on it and ended up having an accident on a divider, no other cars were involved. Now I have comprehensive coverage on my car with mercury with a deductible of $500. In all likelihood this is a total loss.( Air bags deployed, the front wheel burst and the front fender is pretty much backed up until the engine and the car isnt driveable)

Should I just pay him for the car( around 5.3k on KBB) or should I get my insurance involved to see if they will write a check for the difference?

Would my increase in rates justify reporting to insurance(if I dont legally have to).?

I'm totally new to this and very shaken, so any advice would be appreciated too. Thanks.

Last edited:
At 5k payout, more than likely any increases in your premium will be less than that.

Thanks so much for the reply.
First off would my coverage apply to his car?
If yes,
Would getting rid of the car ( for about 2 k as junk) and paying the difference (3.5k) out of my pocket better than going the insurance route?

How much would my premium increase by? i know this is subjective but how would it compare to the amount of money id be spending out of pocket.

EDIT: Also I my deductible is 1000$. I had the wrong value earlier. Do you think it makes economic sense to report in this case?

Last edited:
What did you hit? Was there damage to that? If so, you also have to pay to have that repaired. Given the damage to your car, it is very likely that the object you hit also has damage.

In most areas, with this extent of damage, you are required to file a police report, which you can normally do online.

Your friends insurance applies in this case, not yours. You should file a claim with his carrier, which will pay to repair whatever you hit with no deductible. If he doesn't have collision insurance, it will not pay to fix his car.

The claim on his insurance would affect YOUR rates, not his. Claims are rated to drivers, not policies.

Dan

What did you hit? Was there damage to that? If so, you also have to pay to have that repaired. Given the damage to your car, it is very likely that the object you hit also has damage.

In most areas, with this extent of damage, you are required to file a police report, which you can normally do online.

Your friends insurance applies in this case, not yours. You should file a claim with his carrier, which will pay to repair whatever you hit with no deductible. If he doesn't have collision insurance, it will not pay to fix his car.

The claim on his insurance would affect YOUR rates, not his. Claims are rated to drivers, not policies.

Dan

I hit a road divider. There was a highway patrol on the area that towed my car away from the freeway. Because i hit concrete there was no damage to it.

How would I deal with the situation if my friend doesnt have collision coverage?

Dan

I hit a road divider which was concrete, so I dont think there was any other damage. There was a high patrol cop who towed me off the freeway and he didnt mention anything about damages/ a ticket.

Since my friend doesnt have collision. How should I handle the situation? Should my friend report to insurance at all?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back