Are Auto Claims with One Insurer Communicated to All Other Insurance Carriers?

tomjonesrocks

I accidentally bumped into a neighbor's car backing out, resulting in a couple grand in damage. My first incident of any kind in many, many years and no other tickets or other incidents on my record. I'm in my 40s - we're not young drivers.

Anyway, after this incident, my car insurance company raised my rates over 37% -- a figure I think is completely over the top.

If I start getting quotes from other carriers would they be aware of this claim with no police involvement or any kind of citation? Is it necessary to mention this incident when getting new quotes?

Most carriers participate in a joint claim database so they will see the at-fault accident. It exists just for this type of situation.

Dan

First, you might find that other companies are willing to take that risk for less premium. Some companies are super aggressive on price with the cherry risk, but then price themselves pretty high after an incident.

You also don't need to mention anything to them about it; they will find it when they run their background check. I'm not as young of a driver as I once was and I don't think I've had anything happen in the last five years, but when there was stuff I wasn't sure of the exact details so I'd wait to have them give me the final rate, but I knew it would go up because they would find stuff. Again, that said, it's entirely possible that with your new incident other carriers would be happy to take the risk at a better rate than you're currently getting.

Yes-it's called CLUE (central loss underwriting exchange). If your record is as good as you stated you shouldn't have any trouble getting a better deal out there somewhere. Many companies office "accident forgiveness" up front if your insurance score (claims, ticket payment history) is good enough.

Last edited:
Not saying anything, but there are are good agents with various companies on the board. Since you trust us to answer your question, why not see if there is someone on this board who is licensed in your state? Sure they would be happy to help you out.

Back