Auto and Home Commission... Request...

slimjim05

I've been a captive agent for 3 years and am going indy. I understand sales commission shouldn't and isn't the most important thing when placing an insured with a carrier. However, what do you guy think about listing commissions for different p&c carriers?

The point of this thread is if 2 carriers who are a good fit for a client and the premiums are close, wouldn't we want to place them with the carrier with the higher commission? Besides we're also in business to increase are profits, right?

Thoughts?

Why? Besides probably being against the contract you sign, there really isn't any benefit.

What do you hope to accomplish? You get paid what your appointment contract calls for, not what someone elses does. If you place more business with a carrier, you might get slightly better rates, if you do more of the work, you will get better rates.

Dan

I've been a captive agent for 3 years and am going indy. I understand sales commission shouldn't and isn't the most important thing when placing an insured with a carrier. However, what do you guy think about listing commissions for different p&c carriers?

The point of this thread is if 2 carriers who are a good fit for a client and the premiums are close, wouldn't we want to place them with the carrier with the higher commission? Besides we're also in business to increase are profits, right?

Thoughts?

NO!

For years our shop was at 17 18 with Mercury, and Encompass was 15.

Encompass - annual policy 1 renewal for auto. Mercury 6 months. More Dead Bark Fondling [paper] ever year. Mercury UW's would MEMO you to death sniffing client underwear - it was absurd.

We mapped the insureds address at work and he is 6.3 miles from home and you put down 5 miles to work. Please request and endorsement or provide and explantion of the discrepency?

Encompass on the other hand barely fussed abotu anything. Business retained 3-4x longer. I had a client with them that had a DUI they never knew about or looked at for 2+ years! They just kept renewing it. We didnt know either - didnt have to re underwrite their file.

The 2 extra points on 1.5-1.75m is nice - but id venture that we easily spent that on extra cust service staff and headache and time with the nit picky way they underwrote stuff.

[Mercury] They are a double edge sword you love to hate ...

I do like them though - they been very very good to many CA Agents!

Back