Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Auto Insurance Forum

Reply to Auto Insurance Question     
Old 06-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #1

State: agusta is an Insurance Agent from
Auto Insurance Question Auto Insurance Question
Hi guys,

Quick question that I wanted to get more insights into: I have a 2014 BMW and with the BMW Assist service, BMW is able to track my car via GPS. In the event my car is stolen, will BMW give the insurance company my entire GPS log of everywhere I have been say for the last day/week/month, etc? Or do they just give the location of where the car is currently?

Would be great to get your insights.

Thanks.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Auto Insurance Question
Old 06-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
djs
Guru

State: djs is an Insurance Agent from California
djs is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Auto Insurance Question Re: Auto Insurance Question
It depends.
If your car is stolen and the insurance company selects the theft for an audit, they will ask for your records in a variety of ways. What they want will depend on why it gets audited.

I've had clients be asked for:
- Phone records
- Bank records
- Sworn statements
- Employment history
etc.

This is not the norm, but it happens. But then, stolen cars are not the norm either in many neighborhoods.

Dan
Old 06-27-2015, 12:41 AM   #3

State: agusta is an Insurance Agent from
Auto Insurance Question Re: Auto Insurance Question agusta is the thread starter for: Auto Insurance Question

Originally Posted by djs View Post
It depends.
If your car is stolen and the insurance company selects the theft for an audit, they will ask for your records in a variety of ways. What they want will depend on why it gets audited.

- Phone records
- Bank records
- Sworn statements
- Employment history
etc.

This is not the norm, but it happens. But then, stolen cars are not the norm either in many neighborhoods.

Dan
Thanks, Dan.

I would like to better understand the GPS records. Will BMW give the insurance company all my GPS history or will they only give the current GPS location of the car?

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #4
Guru
BlockO on Auto Insurance Question

State: BlockO is an Insurance Agent from Ohio
BlockO is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Originally Posted by djs View Post

- Phone records
- Bank records
- Sworn statements
- Employment history
etc.

Dan

here's another one you can add to that list.... proof of vehicle's last oil change ... pretty clever, huh?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
djs
Guru

State: djs is an Insurance Agent from California
djs is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by agusta View Post
Thanks, Dan.

I would like to better understand the GPS records. Will BMW give the insurance company all my GPS history or will they only give the current GPS location of the car?

Thanks.
I truly don't know. My guess is they till provide what they are asked for. Is there a reason you are concerned?

The insurance company probably won't ever actually see this info. I think it goes to law enforcement and they track the car down. Insurance companies don't do this, they write checks.

The insurance company might want the gps data if they suspect fraud or want to audit the claim, in which case, they will ask for a period of time, doubtful it would be the entire time you've owned the car, but who knows.

On the claims side, a significant number of 'stolen' car claims are caused by people trying to get out of a bad car deal or spousal / significant other problems. Insurance companies are aware of this and look for things that signal this may be the case. True stolen cars are a pretty rare event with modern cars, not like the old days where you could hotwire them in nothing flat. Not to say it doesn't happen, it does, but its not as common as people think, at least not in relation to the claims made for stolen cars.

Dan
Old 11-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #6

State: diminishedvalue is an Insurance Agent from Florida
Normally all records as part of the investigation to see if fraud is involved.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #7
Guru

State: agentinsouth is an Insurance Agent from
Auto Insurance Question
Originally Posted by agusta View Post
Hi guys, Quick question that I wanted to get more insights into: I have a 2014 BMW and with the BMW Assist service, BMW is able to track my car via GPS. In the event my car is stolen, will BMW give the insurance company my entire GPS log of everywhere I have been say for the last day/week/month, etc? Or do they just give the location of where the car is currently? Would be great to get your insights. Thanks.
Wouldn't you want BMW to give that info to the police?
Old 12-05-2015, 10:29 PM   #8
Guru

State: indienoise is an Insurance Agent from South Carolina
I actually have a carrier that this is a condition in the application:any such data must be made available to the carrier in the event of a claim.

But even if it's not express in your contract, it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility your carrier would ask for those records.

Here's hoping you never have to find out.
Reply to Auto Insurance Question 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Auto Insurance Forum

Tags
auto insurance