Been in Accident, Should I Use Insurance?

kankichi

Hi

I am 24 and drive a Toyota Corolla 2010. I recently moved from Japan and have only been driving in the states and have had insurance for 5 months. I live in LA.
My current auto-insurance is about $218/month.

I was on a road trip in Arizona (driving pretty fast) and drove off the highway, blinded by the sunset sun. I am alright but the car was pretty visibly beat.
The rear right tire blew so I went to a Toyota dealer today to get a replacement tire. So far, it has set me back $305 for tire and rim.

The dealer told me that the wheel is pretty badly beat and though it will run fine for a while, it will definitely need a tuning soon. Their estimate is that to get all things fixed, including the tire (already fixed) would be $2500+.

Honestly the visible damage doesn't concern me too much, as long as the car runs fine. What do you guys think? Should I go through insurance? I do technically have the money to pay for the damage (especially the essentials) if need be.

Thank you very much.

If you can fix it without going through the insurance in this situation, fix it. You don't want a claim to your name in your situation already.

If you can fix it without going through the insurance in this situation, fix it. You don't want a claim to your name in your situation already.

"Already" meaning that I am only 24 and have had insurance for only 5 months my entire life?

Thanks for your reply.

Back