BOR Auto

Simple101

I know in commercial ppl switch brokers with a BOR letter, is it the same by personal Auto ? If yeh by all companies (progressive safeco etc) ?
And can i always change mid term or only end term ?
And if they switch mid term how dose commission work do both agents split ?

I know in commercial ppl switch brokers with a BOR letter, is it the same by personal Auto ? If yeh by all companies (progressive safeco etc) ?

Can be done. Companies have different nuances on the matter so some will some will not without reason and depends on channel. Harder to get from direct writer over without rewrite. Typically if done mid term the new agent will get SERVICING rights but no commission until renewal. At least in my experience.

You can broker of record for auto. I've done it many times, mostly for homeowners.

Don't be 'that guy'.
Every town has an agent that tries to just steal policies from other agents. Its okay if you are doing something for them, but if you are leaving the same policy in place, what are you offering to the client to make it worth switching agents?

If its for a few policies, nobody loses sleep over this. If it happens for more than a few, some carriers will flag you and not allow it.

Its much cleaner if you can offer them a better value than what they have and rewrite the household, effectively earning the business. I do know in some cases, agents become non-responsive to clients, friends / family / marriage / divorce, etc, things happen, making BOR's very helpful and useful.

If you start doing it because you can't beat what they currently have, but think you can just slip in a BOR, it becomes very frowned upon.

Dan

Back