Borrowing a Car for the Summer, how Can I Insure It?

noemi_ch

Hello everyone,

This is my first time dealing with car insurance so I am sorry in advance about my low knowledge in the field. Generally this is my situation:

I am a non-US resident that has been staying and legaly working here for a while. My friend has an old unregistered car and she agreed to lend it to me for the summer. Now i need to register it and for that insure it. Becuase it is simpler she agreed to register it under her name, but the insurance problem is killing us!

Not many insurance companies give me auto insurance since i am not a US citizen. Only progressive gave me an offer but it was crazy expensive (more then the cost of the car itself)

Just to note i do have a valid liscence in my country and I am legaly alowed to drive here. Is
It possible to get a US liscence and would that fix my problem?

Being its just for 3 months we just need something basic. My biggest question is if it is ok to insure the car under her name as well and just let me drive it, under the fact that i am really borrowing it?

All suggestions and insight are welcomed. Thanks in advance :)

Have your friend insure the car under her name and list you as an additional driver.

It will be expensive, see if you are okay with liability only coverage (if the car value isn't that high).

Not all carriers will take this type of situation (as you've noticed) but some will. I don't think you can get a US license for 3 months but I've never tried. If you can, it will give you more options on who will accept you for coverage, which will probably help with the rates.

Dan

Thank you Dan for your reply.

We checked all insurance options and just couldn't find a better offer. Everything is at least double the price of the car and ends up not being worth it.

It looks like we will just stick with bikes and forget this driving option.

All best :)

Back