Boyfriend Wants to Be on my Car Insurance

His plan was to get a used car, something he can pay completely out of pocket for.. around 2k-ish (which you know is a piece of junk) and is an older model, so about 2005-2008 or so. His plan was also to not get full coverage, either way we've moved past the subject and he handled things in another way. Sure enough his parents are going to give him his mom's old car because she is going to get a new car. I assume he'll have the insurance covered from his parents so I'm off the hook. Not my problem anymore.

Maybe the insurance isn't your problem any more but your irresponsible boyfriend still is.

Just make sure he NEVER drives your car.

Placing a high risk person on your policy will make your premiums go up really high. It also, if he is able to get insurance, if he gets any other violations, your insurance will be cancelled and may not be able to find another company to take you due to him.

The best thing he needs to do is not get insurance for 5 years, as most companies do not look past 5 years. Once he has 5 years of no violations under his belt, then look to getting him on a policy of his own. It will be affordable and his. So if you don't have him in your life any more. (not saying it will happen, but I have seen it before) you won't have to try to get him off your policy.

As of right now, your boyfriend doesn't own a car and he wants to drive your car. However, if anything happens then you are responsible because the car insurance you have is in your name so legally you will have to answer all those situations.

The next thing you can suggest to your boyfriend is to get non-owner car insurance which covers only liability coverage up to certain limits. So, if he asks to use your car for driving you can give him but don't drive along with them, While driving if he meets with an accident or causes any property damage then you will not be responsible for that because he has non-owner car insurance. And, when the police authority asks questions about those mishappenings, he is the only one responsible.

As of right now, your boyfriend doesn't own a car and he wants to drive your car. However, if anything happens then you are responsible because the car insurance you have is in your name so legally you will have to answer all those situations.

The next thing you can suggest to your boyfriend is to get non-owner car insurance which covers only liability coverage up to certain limits. So, if he asks to use your car for driving you can give him but don't drive along with them, While driving if he meets with an accident or causes any property damage then you will not be responsible for that because he has non-owner car insurance. And, when the police authority asks questions about those mishappenings, he is the only one responsible.
7 year old thread

Another gem of wisdom from rolfshepard, the prodigal son of insurance-forums.com.. Thank you, rolfshepard, for gracing us with your unparalleled mastery of coherence and clarity.

Your words, like a Picasso painting, are a masterpiece of abstract thought and cryptic insight, since you have described non-owner car insurance entirely wrong. The girlfriends car insurance policy would likely be considered primary in the event of an accident, regardless of whether the boyfriend has non-owner car insurance. Non-owner car insurance typically provides secondary coverage, meaning it kicks in after the primary insurance has been exhausted.

This is a disadvantage of having the old "related topic" threads show below a current thread--without some kind of highlight or notation indicating they are "old" discussions.

( @Chris -- just a comment for consideration. )
Google any topic, most of the top results are outdated wrong info as the internet really never cleans up its info that can become stale or wrong

Your words, like a Picasso painting, are a masterpiece of abstract thought and cryptic insight, since you have described non-owner car insurance entirely wrong

Picasso was a horrible person, jerk to wife & wouldnt acknowledge some of his offspring he created throughout the countryside.

If I remember my studies of him, one of the worst examples of his terribleness was what he said to one of his mistresses, Françoise Gilot that 'women are machines made for suffering' and that for him there were only two kinds of women: goddesses and doormats. He was arrogant! Picasso was a man full of himself.

Picasso was a horrible person, jerk to wife & wouldnt acknowledge some of his offspring he created throughout the countryside.

If I remember my studies of him, one of the worst examples of his terribleness was what he said to one of his mistresses, Françoise Gilot that 'women are machines made for suffering' and that for him there were only two kinds of women: goddesses and doormats. He was arrogant! Picasso was a man full of himself.
That's crazy.. good thing I'm not a Picasso fan. He reminds me too much of @rolfshepard

Back