Boyfriend Wants to Be on my Car Insurance

Last time him and I got onto this discussion, I was extremely emphatic on how against everything I was - he hasn't brought up the issue since, I'm hoping it's passed. If godforbid it is brought up again, I'm making it clear that it's fraud and that I sure as hell am not doing a thing! We'll have an argument over it and then we'll move on and he'll figure things out on his own. Either he is trying to get all this past me or he truely isn't realizing how serious this all is. I also plan on making it clear to him that however he might have tried to do things in the past is one thing but from here on out, to have a future with me, things need to be done the right way! I have read there are companies out there who offer decent prices to people who are high risk, I guess they're more affordable than the average companies who charge $500-600 a month.

He is trying to fall under what is called 'permissive driver' rules, which allows for those random situations where someone else might drive your car.

Unfortunately, he would be a routine driver of the car, which means if he got into an accident, it probably would NOT be covered.

Since your name would have to be associated to the car for you to insure it, you would be on the hook for a variety of things, from parking tickets to impound fees to who knows what.

Some sound advice for those times he needs a ride somewhere and cant get there: Call Uber. Its cheaper then the car and insurance.

Okay, you don't call Uber, you open the app, but you knew what I meant.......

Dan

When he has an accident, if the insurance company pays, it's a loss reported on YOUR policy and will follow you for a few years.
If the car is in your name and he doesn't pay property tax or doesn't pay the insurance bill, guess whose license they will suspend?
Not to mention the whole scenario is dishonest.

It sounds like you have him a straight no. Good for you. Tell him to visit an agency in town who specializes in high risk auto insurance. It might not be as cheap as he would like, but probably more bearable than what he would pay with any large insurance company who is spending their money advertising on TV.

I don't see where anyone inquired about what state you are in, but that would make a difference in the issues involved in such a situation.

However, the answers here are spot on it boils down to intentionally deceiving an insurance company for financial gain (a lower premium). Honesty is always the best practice. Since you obviously have ethics and morals, this becomes a chance to make that clear to him.

Now for some practical insurance advice... I am guessing by the premium range of $500-600 per month, he is looking to buy a car he has to finance. Well, that's his first mistake because he can't afford it AND pay his insurance. Perfect opportunity for a lesson in being an adult. He should buy something he can just pay cash for so he doesn't need 'full coverage' for it. That will enable him to get insurance much more cheaply plus he saves a few bucks on a car payment too. So, he is better off with lower monthly expenses while he allows his driving record to clear up by driving more safely. If he does not see the wisdom of this approach, decide if you see a future with a boy who refuses to grow up to and become a responsible man.

Advice I'd give to my daughter: - All other advice is insignificant.

DITCH this clown and go find someone who is running his life responsibly. There is absolutely NO reason to be hooked up with someone like this. There are too many other people that qualify in the world and life is too short.

To solve your insurance dilemma and prevent many more much more significant problems:

Say "See ya. Bye. Have a nice life."

Then spend some time mourning a lost love. Two minutes should suffice but 1 would be better. Now go out and build your life the way you want it without having that moron hanging around your neck as an anchor.

Boyfriends have been screwing up their girlfriends lives for over 200 years. It's practically an American tradition.

The fact that she won't help him with his insurance fraud just proves that she doesn't love him enough.

I feel sad for the poor guy.

I don't see where anyone inquired about what state you are in, but that would make a difference in the issues involved in such a situation.

However, the answers here are spot on it boils down to intentionally deceiving an insurance company for financial gain (a lower premium). Honesty is always the best practice. Since you obviously have ethics and morals, this becomes a chance to make that clear to him.

Now for some practical insurance advice... I am guessing by the premium range of $500-600 per month, he is looking to buy a car he has to finance. Well, that's his first mistake because he can't afford it AND pay his insurance. Perfect opportunity for a lesson in being an adult. He should buy something he can just pay cash for so he doesn't need 'full coverage' for it. That will enable him to get insurance much more cheaply plus he saves a few bucks on a car payment too. So, he is better off with lower monthly expenses while he allows his driving record to clear up by driving more safely. If he does not see the wisdom of this approach, decide if you see a future with a boy who refuses to grow up to and become a responsible man.

His plan was to get a used car, something he can pay completely out of pocket for.. around 2k-ish (which you know is a piece of junk) and is an older model, so about 2005-2008 or so. His plan was also to not get full coverage, either way we've moved past the subject and he handled things in another way. Sure enough his parents are going to give him his mom's old car because she is going to get a new car. I assume he'll have the insurance covered from his parents so I'm off the hook. Not my problem anymore.

You don't necessarily need to be living together to be listed as a household driver, so signing him up wouldn't technically be fraud. It's absolutely not best practices, though.

Here are my thoughts, all commentary on the relationship aside.

1. He is a high risk for claims.
2. He is apparently unwilling or unable to pay his own insurance.
3. He has no real insurable interest in your car. Insurable interest is a legal term which means someone benefits directly from what is being insured. You have it in your car, he has it only indirectly.
4. If you listed him as a household driver, he'd have legal coverage to hop in your car whenever, without asking.

If those things make you nervous, you don't need an excuse to say "no". It can be as simple as "Hey, I'm not comfortable with it. You have too much history with wrecks."

I'd recommend a lower-limits policy for him on a separate account, if anything. That way he can start building up his insurance score and get limits of liability that won't bankrupt you or him when he gets into his next wreck.

Let's look at your initial questions:
1. If he got a moving violation (run a light, speed) what/who does that affect?

That'll affect both of you if he's listed on your policy. As soon as he's off, so are the ticketable moving violations.

2. If he got a parking ticket what/who does it affect?

Generally those don't affect insurance.

3. If he ever got pulled over just because a cop scans the plate and decided to question things would there be a fine?

No. As soon as they verified that he was using it legally and with permission, it would all be good. They generally wouldn't run the plate unless it was reported stolen or the tags were expired.

4. Would I be in trouble if he got into an accident?

Yes. You would have those wrecks on your CLUE report. There are ways to get them off of it, though they're not guaranteed.

5. What if he god forbid had paraphernalia in his pockets and got checked for some reason, does that affect me? What if it's straight up in the car?

That could potentially affect the seizure of your car, though it wouldn't affect the insurance. If there was damage to your vehicle from a search, it likely wouldn't be covered due to the nature of the illegal activity (this may vary by state and local legality of drug use).

I hope this helps.

My opinion: don't let him on.

Does anyone understand why someone should put up with this kind of crap from a supposed life partner?

OP, the world is trying to tell you to do something different. Being hooked to someone who tries to get through life by scamming only holds you back. If he was past his troubles, he'd simply buy the car, pay the premium and change to a better rate when any prior screw ups dropped off his record.

The answer is simple. Say "no" when asked.

Back