Business Auto Vs Personal Auto

ShannonO

Expert
Have a client I'm quoting - 2 vehicles need to be on a commercial auto policy (pickup & horse trailer hauling for hire). The 3rd is used within the business (also a horse farrier) but is also his primary personal vehicle.

Premium is not significantly different if I keep the 3rd vehicle on the commercial policy or if I pull it off to it's own personal policy. However, I just seem to remember something from somewhere that a personal auto policy gives more flexibility in driving vehicles owned by others, etc. Renting a car won't be an issue because there is no physical damage on this 3rd vehicle. He doesn't really ever borrow a vehicle and the only times he drives someone else's vehicle is with their permission and they have insurance (and it would not be within his business). Because of this, I'm guessing the client would likely rather have a single policy with a single payment to deal with - but I just can't help but feel I'm not thinking of something...

It's Monday and I'm overthinking this - hoping someone can give me a quick though!

Request symbol 1 and that takes care of driving other vehicles as long as you have the named insured structured correctly. I would add him individually as a named insured in addition to the business entity. Or you could include "DOC" coverage if they won't list him individually.

Back