Buying Car-non Relative Driving

In Michigan, if your name is on the title, you are liable. It does not matter if you have never even seen the car.

Ditto for Texas, if you own the car - you are liable for damages caused by the vehicle (unless the vehicle was taken without your express permission).

I am not fluent with Alabama's auto policies, are the insurer's allowed to file their own forms? If that is in fact the case, as they are here in Texas and many other states, you really need to discuss the coverage aspect of this with your current agent/insurer. In Texas, policy language can be different from one carrier to another, so what may be covered under a policy with Insurance Company A might not be covered under a policy with Insurance Company B.

The reason I bring that up, is there may be conditions on the policy that limit and/or exclude coverage if a seperate policy is purchased in your name.

So while I do agree, consulting with an attorney will help you determine your liability risk, I would also recommend you consult with your insurance agent once you identify those risks to be sure the coverage is there to protect you accordingly.

Back